Substitute/Alternate/Replacement for rhodium plating on jewelry

A discussion started in 2001 and continuing through 2020 so far.
Adding your Q. / A. or Comment will restore it to the Current Topics page

2001

Q. This is a technical question about rhodium plating. I am presently using rhodium over nickel over copper-clad fiberglass (G10) material. These units are being used for slip rings for military purposes. Silver-graphite brushes contact these units in order to produce a rotating electrical conductor. I have no problem with these units except that the rhodium plating process is getting more and more expensive. I do not know if this is due to the material costs or that fewer places are plating with rhodium.

Do you have any knowledge or can you point me in the right direction about hardened silver or gold surfaces that might be easier and less expensive to plate?

Robert M [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Northridge, California , USA

A. Hi Robert.
Rhodium has outrageous price volatility. My understanding is that it is too rare to be practical to mine on its own, but comes instead as a byproduct of platinum mining & refining. So when platinum demand grows, there can be a surfeit of rhodium and its price will be a bit lower than gold; but when platinum production is down there isn't enough rhodium available and its price can skyrocket to 12X the price of gold. It's not a question of slowly climbing prices like for other materials. Maybe palladium will meets your needs? It is usually something like half the price of gold.

Hardened Silver Plating in place of Rhodium

2005

Q. I am a PCB manufacturer that has been asked by a customer to find a replacement finish to our current plating of Rhodium/Nickel. The customer likes the hardness of the Rhodium, but it is too expensive. We've tried Hard Gold, but it's not hard enough. Someone mentioned Hardened Silver as a possible replacement. Apparently, hardened silver is plated on coins but I can't find anyone who plates this metal to print circuit boards. Furthermore, the only specification that I can find for silver (QQ-S-365) makes no reference to the hardness.

Does anyone have suggestions on another possible alternative to Rhodium ... or does anyone have any additional information about Hardened Silver and where I can find it? Thank you in advance!

Dara Ferris
PCB Manufacturer - Newbury Park, California, USA

simultaneous 2005

? The answer is going to depend on the properties your customer is looking for in the finish. How hard does the finish need to be? Does it have to be solderable? For how long? Over the whole surface, or just edge connectors? Get more specific and the answers get easier.

James Totter
James Totter, CEF
- Tallahassee, Florida

2005

A. Dara,

Hard Gold on PCB's attains a hardness of 200 and more vickers. Alloys are Gold-nickel and Gold-cobalt.

Silver though hard will not exceed the conductivity and hardness provided by gold. Tarnish resistance is another issue where silver is not a preferred route.

asif_nurie
Asif Nurie [dec.]
- New Delhi, India
With deep regret we sadly advise that Asif passed away on Jan 24, 2016

2005

A. You can try Palladium plating. Hardness is 250-300 DPH (Rhodium=900 DPH). According to Fischer, Weimer: "Precious Metal Plating" [affil. link to book info on Amazon], Teddington 1964. Good luck!

2006

Q. I am a rhodium plater, and am looking for a substitute for rhodium plating on precious jewelry as rhodium prices have gone up substantially. It's not economically feasible to do rhodium plating on jewelry. Kindly suggest if you have any information about the same.

Belel Sukumar
jewelry platers - Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

2006

A. Hi Belel,
Some of the fine jewelry manufacturers have switched to Palladium. It is not as hard as Rhodium, and has the lowest melting point of any of the Platinum metals. The appearance as plated is very similar to Rhodium. One manufacturer had mentioned they were getting good results with a decorative Palladium bath called Pallaspeed D, that was supplied by Technic. I looked up the London PM fix, and Palladium closed today at $368.00 per troy oz. I'm pretty sure most decorative baths run at about 10-12 grams per gallon Pd metal, and are pretty simple to control. Good Luck!

process engineer - Malone, New York

I am in the jewellery manufacturing industry and I would like to know what is the most effective technique and solution for rhodium plating jewellery? Specifically, if anyone has knowledge about the techniques used in China?

Puja

Puja Kothari
Manufacturing manager - Mumbai, India

A. I seriously doubt that there is any "standard" technique or standard brand of rhodium plating solution used in China, Puja. Can you please be a little bit less vague about what you are seeking? Are you trying to find a cheaper brand of plating solution? Have you seen a particular article made in China that you are trying to duplicate? Are you encountering spots or discoloration and feel that your Chinese competitors are not? It is easy to conjecture that there are "magic bullets", but usually there aren't and it's more about sweating the details. Please get back to us with more specifics. Thanks.

A. Hi There,

I believe you want to know about the Chinese jewellery that looks like Rhodium plating and prices are cheap; the cheap jewellery is plated with either white bronze or Palladium flash, and the raw jewelry itself is of good finish and the polishing method is also excellent.

Hop this helps you ... Caio

praveen kumar
Praveen Kumar
    plating process supplier
Mumbai, India

I make gold product for jewelry and I plate 14k white gold with rhodium.
The price of rhodium went up recently 3 times, I'm looking for an alternative solution to replace the use of rhodium and get the same result.

Sam Louis
plating shop employee - Los Angeles, California, USA

simultaneous March 14, 2008

A. Rhodium is rhodium, nothing else has the same properties of hardness and oxidation resistance. Indeed it's these special properties, plus scarcity, that make Rhodium worth $10K/oz today.

Platinum or palladium might be "good enough", but they aren't cheap either.

Elestroless nickel would be a poor, but cheap, substitute.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina

A. Look into white bronze. It will polish well, but will not have the ultimate shine that you now have.

A. Why not replace the gold with brass and keep the rhodium?

If the customer really wanted gold they would not want it white.

Problem replacing Rhodium with Platinum

July 22, 2008 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. We are using UMICORE PLATUNA N1 for plating on gold jewelry. because due to high cost of rhodium we use as a alternative of rhodium...but while plating with PLATUNA N1 we face a problem of Brown shad, sometime dull and gray effect.. so please tell me any best solution for avoiding this problem.... and any chemical brightener to add in PLATUNA N1..

Thank you...

Sujal Dhakan
Plating shop - India

A. Hi, Sujal. You are using a proprietary process so you should be seeking guidance from the supplier of that solution.

Yes, rhodium prices are astronomical at times; but platinum is not rhodium, doesn't look like rhodium, and perhaps your expectations for the substitute process are simply too high? Review the other postings on this thread for alternate ideas. Good luck!

Why is rhodium plating so expensive?

I came across a site which was selling rhodium 500 ml solution for around $300. I believe this can be used to plate 300 rings --that's equivalent to $1 per ring. Then why are we charged $50-$60 for plating our rings.

Sena K
- Mumbai, India

A. Hi Sena. I think your question might be rhetorical, so I'll answer it rhetorically by asking how much your plumber charges to replace a 50¢ washer or your auto mechanic charges to replace a $2 oil filter.

If you are right that $300 of plating solution can plate 300 rings, then no plating shop would charge you $50-$60 apiece if you shipped them 300 rings to plate. Time is money, labor is money, cleaning & polishing takes time, and dealing with the public one item at a time can be very costly. The going rate for rhodium plating might be $50-$60 ... but you can probably find it for less if you spend several hours of your time shopping. What's a couple of hours of your time worth? :-)

A. Hello Sena, today's rhodium price was $3050.00 per troy oz. With the manufacturing charges and adders the supplier charges, you are looking at over $100 per gram. That half liter bottle you saw for $300 would have less than 3 grams of rhodium metal in it, which would not be sufficient to plate 300 rings. As Ted said you are paying the going rate nowadays. Just wanted to give you an idea of the high cost of rhodium. Best Wishes.

Electronic Plating - Winston Salem, North Carolina USA

August 11, 2020 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Can anyone please suggest alternative to Rhodium plating.
We provide plating to our customers, base metal would Brass. So what could be best and inexpensive substitute to Rhodium at the same time maintaining the Bright white finish.

Can we use Palladium over brass after Nickel plating. Will Palladium turn black soon.

Ashish Agarwal
- Kolkata West Bengal

jewelry banner  red sky plating banner