netneut -- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing has been free for 22 years,
but without net neutrality we could soon
cease to exist. Do us a solid, click on
the banner, and contact congress today!
topic 4157

Rag-Wheel Fast Cutting Buffing Compound Wanted, and Bright Boy / Brite Boy


I'm an easy-going middle-aged man, living in Tennessee (USA), who has a hobby/small business of sharpening just about everything except for saws. Most everything is done by hand and is done very in-expensively. I also have a reputation for being able to "on the spot design tools, jigs, etc. I believe God gave me the gift and I will lose it if I don't use it! So, I keep it hot!

I have a clientele of customers who bring me swords, machetes, etc. that have surface rust on the blades. Sometimes it is a deeply rooted rust. This entails a lot of "elbow-grease" rubbing and almost re-plaining the blades, to get that #1 glaze back into the metal. This ends up being quite expensive! HERE IT IS: My Question:


Many years ago, my father used to get some of this compound (in a yellow and silver aluminum tube [that you had to keep sealed up or it would dry out and be no good]) thru HURTERS or HERTERS Catalog Co., but when it went out of business, we lost our link to the company. I have been using "Shuner" out of Georgia for several years, but they do not handle the compound. It was a dark red compound (in a stick form) that was applied to a rotating rag wheel. It would dress most any metal applied to it. I SURE WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO BUY IT AGAIN! Also. . . does anyone still handle the bright-boy wheels {rubberized industrial diamond dust} I haven't been able to find the wheels or the erasers.

Wm. A. Lee
Wm. A. Lee
saw sharpening & etc. - East Ridge, Tennessee


Believe it or not, Sears tool department sells a package of 4 different "grit" polishes as well as the buff wheels to fit on a grinder.

You might be able to find "bright boy" in the thomas Register. The library version is a lot easier than on line.

James Watts
- Navarre, Florida


It is doubtful that you will get this "#1 Finish," using just one operation. Buffing and polishing require several operations, each with finer grit abrasive. Each operation is done on a 90 degree angle to the previous operation.

When a blade acquires rust, there is a degree of etching into the bare steel. You may not be able to take off enough metal to hide that etched surface.

Used sabers from the Civil War are a prime example. They are all etched from contact with various liquids, including plain water.

You may be able to reach the desired high finish by ending up with a lapping paste on your dressed wheel during finishing.

ed budman
eb sig
Ed Budman
- Pennsylvania


I purchased the "Bright Boy" wheel from J.S. Ritter [Portland, ME] some time ago. Since then, they no longer stock the wheels but will order as a special.

Ritter is quite responsive to special requests.

Brad Petritsch
- Waterville, Maine


If you cannot locate any Bright Boy products, Cratex manufactures rubberized abrasives that are excellent. I am sure they have a variety of items that will fill your requirements. They are available thru the catalog tool distributors (J&L; Industrial, MSC, Travers Tool, etc.)

Good luck, and Peace...

Gary F Blades
- Bethpage, New York

March 15, 2009

I was also searching for bright boy products, and I think I found a couple places, but I haven't tried ordering yet. first is an Enameling supply company. easy enough to remember second was a miniature train set supply place, I found this one odd, but it seems that people use bright boys to keep tracks clean so they will conduct electricity well (makes sense) then down at the bottom of categories follow the Walthers link, then the track supplies link. It's cheaper through the train supply place, but I'm still a little skeptical. It looks like the right thing in the picture, but I've never heard of Walthers, and they don't say anything about it being rubber, just abrasive. Hope this helps. Wish I I could help on the other stuff

Kevin McTighe
- Ferrum, Virginia

May 10, 2011

Rio Grande Tools and Equipment Co. sells a product called "Rio Quick Finish."

It matches your description. Once you open it, it will harden and be useless unless you keep it sealed in a jar.

I've used it for years in the 60 grit formulation. Rio Grande has only 3 grits: 400, 220, and 120. I asked if they could supply 60 grit and they said I would have to order 100 tubes at $6.95 each. Too rich for me.

I think you would find the 120 grit very useful

Carter Bacon
- Coopersville, Michigan, USA

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2017     -    Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.