a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum
letter 39089

Joining Polypropylene Sheet

(2006)

I operate a wind tunnel in New Zealand, We have just relaid our moat(which is our water coolant supply for a 950 HP Detroit) the PP is 1 mm thick and if you could tell me how to join it together it would be much appreciated,we were given some Butyl double sided tape to use but it did not hold,

regards

Ron Morgan
bodyflying - Rotorua, New Zealand

Plastics and Composites Welding Handbook

simultaneous (2006)

A. Hi Ron,

Yucks, you were given some wrong info ... tape ? Hell, no.

To join PP sheet you'd need to weld it. Sorry. There's a good Company called Thermoplastic Engineering in N.Z. ... give them a call.

If you have lots and lots of welding to do, ah, then try & get a welding gun WITH instructions (Over here it's LARAMY a U.S. Company)

...STOP ... I then re-read your message. You are only using an ultra thin l mm thick PP. Oh dear. This would really present problems due to heat distortion with such a thin laminate even to a fully experienced professional. H'mm. What about overlapping by an inch or so and then 'soldering' in on, ie. using an iron (?) ... so approach Thermoplastic Engineering. ... who might well proffer better advice.

(2006)

A. You have to hot weld it using parent rod of polypro and appropriate hot air guns (for very critical parts some recommend inert gas instead of air). Any good plastic fabricator can help you. Good luck.

Plastic Welding Kit

simultaneous (2006)

A. The most effective method of joining polypropylene sheet is to weld it. Do a search on plastic or polypropylene welding for more info.

John Martin
- Wales

(2006)

A. Hi Guillermo,

Re an inert gas for welding, the problems in Ye Olden Days was with people using an ordinary compressor and ultra minute traces of oil or condensation would result in some poor welding.

One Company used to use silica gel to get a 'clean' air.

A low output compressor is the answer ... this idea came from Germany where, as you know, PVC was invented and where, initially the best welders came from.

With Pe, the same family as PP, it seems that the surface builds up an ultra thin oxide layer ... I would get a poor result on welding a thin but clean l/8" laminate BUT if that surface were scraped beforehand, ah, the weld appeared good to an amateur like me. This is a REAL problem with l/16" PP but the given l mm = a lousy l/32" ! Yucks !

(2006)

thumbs up sign Thanks to the two replies, you have both been a lot of help. I have got onto a company that think they should be able to weld it.

Ron Morgan [returning]
- Rotorua , New Zealand

(2006)

A. Sorry friends,,but for materials that thin , you need an ultrasonic welder.. [I have one]
I have laramy - wegener - kamweld - liesters and god knows how many others...I've never seen a heat welder work on material .039 thick

Ron Landrette
plating equipment supplier - Bristol, Connecticut

thumbs up signThanks, Ron. I knew you would know!

A. Dear,
by applying unimat tape with welding machine, You can join your PP material.

Gajanan Mehta
- Dhari-India

Q. I am trying to join drinking straws together. Please can you give me some help on how to best do this neatly.

Mandy Johnston
Artist - South Africa

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: