Deburring internal passages in a Delrin manifold

1999

I'm looking for a process, equipment or local job shop capable of deburring multiple internal passages in a chemical distribution manifold made of Delrin 150. The manifolds are approximately 6"x3"x3" with multiple intersecting passages from 1/8" to 3/4" in diameter. Any burrs in excess of 10 microns are a potential problem.

Troy Koll
- San Antonio, Texas

1999

Troy,

Wow, you have a real problem and in spite of my nigh on 40 years in the (thermo) plastics fabrication business, I'm not too sure I can help.

The only possible way to, perhaps, deburr (as you call it) this acetal material is perhaps, PERHAPS, by using heat, ie. sufficient surface heat to soften/smooth out the surfaces. But if you do that you may heat distort your manifold. And as 10 microns is the size of the 'mist' in a rain cloud, this means it is pretty damn small. so small that your eye cannot discern it!

Why Delrin? Why such superfine tolerances or finishing? What is this manifold for? Maybe if I knew WHAT you were trying to do, I might, perhaps, come up with some ideas.

Cheers!

2000

There is a process whereby an abrasive slurry is pumped thru the manifold galleries to remove microburrs,this can be unidirectional or reciprocating flow. There is a company near Boston Mass. that specialises in this work on a contract basis,unfortunately I have lost contact with them,

John Richardson

2003

Is there any alternative method for shot blasting of gear after heat treatment?

Debashis Bhuniya
motor co. - India