topic 37544, p2

Removing scratches on painted kitchen stoves and refrigerator doors

1       2

An ongoing discussion from 2005 through 2018 . . . proposing that carnuba wax is probably the most practical answer.

Q. I bought a new fridge; the sides are textured and the doors are shiny. They have some scratches on them from the magnets I had on them. How do I get rid of them? Plus when I got my knew fridge, it had plastic wrap all over it; it left it dull looking in some places, what can I do to even the shine out?

Kathy Jumper
- Gardners, Pennsylvania

Q. I have a new shiny black fridge and my daughter put the window clings on the door and they came off easily but I can still see the cling on outline...I assume it must have removed the clear coat finish :( Will the turtle wax with carnuba fix this????

Dolena Seymour
- Glace Bay, NS Canada

Q. I have a shiny new ice white Samsung with scratches. Will the Turtle Wax work with this as well?

Miriam A. Schaeffer
- Annapolis, Maryland

A. Hi Miriam. I don't think car wax cares what color the paint is. It should be fine.

Q. Hello. I have bought a new freezer last week. It's in light grey colour. While removing the stickers from the freezer some of the glue of the stickers were left on the freezer. I cleaned them later; when it was dry I found some scratches on the freezer. Please help me how can I remove those scratches. Waiting for useful tips.

Mariam usmani
- Islamabad Pakistan

Q. Does this remove gloss paint? My son walked into a door I painted white,then transferred the paint to the fridge with a high gloss black surface.

Maureen Heath
- kissimmee florida

A. Hi Maureen. Polishing wax is obviously not meant to remove paint, but the usual case is that the factory enamel is adhered significantly better than paint that was casually transferred to the surface by a kid. I'd try my fingernail first, then rubbing with the wax.

Q. Do you use the wax on the scratches or the entire door? It is a black glossy fridge.

Maura Thompson
- Regina SK Canada

A. Hi Maura. You wax the whole door but you put elbow grease into scratched area to try to soften the scratches.

Q. Please tell me a few things. Do you use liquid or paste wax. I hear the paste wax takes hours to buff. What do you use to apply it with and shine it with?
I am afraid to try and end up with a big smear. Thanks.

Maura Thompson [returning]
- Regina SK Canada

A. Hi Maura. If you wish, practice on your car or a piece of outdoor metal furniture, or a rarely seen side of your stove, or even an old washer or dryer down in your basement. It's just car wax and it's not going to matter much whether you use liquid or paste, or a soft sponge vs. a soft cotton rag. Just don't use a cloth that might scratch paint. Good luck.

Kit Scratch Out

thumbs up signI scratched my black Kitchenaid while cleaning it. You could see all the circles where I was wiping it clean. I bought some Kit Scratch Out at the hardware store. It really seems to have improved the look of the door. You really have to stand right up close to see anything. Before you could stand five feet away and see the circles. I had a hard time trying to find something I didn't think would scratch it while I was applying the paste. I ended up using the inside of an old tee shirt.

sherri shelton
- houston, texas

Q. Thank you for you tips on scratches on my new kitchen aide refrigerator. Horrible from just a paper towel. Why would anyone design a product like this. My question is what do you clean it with (after I put wax on it) to prevent more scratches?

Donna Loyko
- Groveland Florida

Q. Have Whirlpool fridge 4 years, brown spots appeared all over door of fridge. Tried Simply Green, bleach with fine steel wool -- nothing removes what looks like rust. Whirlpool wants no part of this problem. Any ideas?

ralph torres
- delray beach Florida

A. Hi Ralph. For the benefit of the next person, never use bleach on steel or stainless steel -- it's murder. Can you use rust converter / naval jelly, followed by repainting? What color is it painted?

Q. Interesting responses to earlier situations, but I have another. I have a white refrigerator that appears to have some type of marbled vinyl front only that I would like to make look stainless. How do I go about it? I am just trying to get it to match other appliances until it's time to go. It is not smooth so I do not think the newly invented film will work. Anybody know if the stainless paint might work?

Edna Blanchard
- Carneys Point, New Jersey

A. Hi Edna. Paint will never look quite like metal, but there's no reason the stainless steel color paint can't be applied to the patterned surface. But if it is real vinyl, normal paints may not stick well. Clean and lightly sand the vinyl, then try a small area of stainless paint. If it doesn't stick well, you may need to start with Krylon Fusion or Bulldog Adhesion Promoter or something like that.

BlueMagic 400 Metal Polish

thumbs up signOk, so I was freaking out. Terrible circular streaks, gouges from cleaning with a green scrubber. The front of the KitchenAid Oven is a coated/sealed metal. I was pricing replacement panels, which is an option. And then I got BlueMagic Metal Polish Cream =>
An immediate and amazing difference! Now I can still barely see the damage, but I believe with repeated use it will cover it almost totally. Leaves silicone film that fills in the scratches. I will also note I was careful to rub and buff the product in the original direction of the lines of the metal. I think that also helped.

Sara Watson
- Garden Valley

January 31, 2016 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. My husband used a Brillo pad on my new black Electric stove. Is there anything I can do to remove these scratches?

Kelli Makuta
- Charlotte North Carolina

A. Hi Kelli, your problem is not unique. Try carauba wax; but wax is flammable, so use carefully and get rid of the excess rather than letting it build up in blind corners.

A. For your black shiny refrigerator try black shoe polish, it works ! I bought a can of Carnauba wax for $16.00, it works but could still see some scratches, thought it should be black and "the light came on ", shoe polish !! Try it you may like it and much cheaper !!

Claudette Summers
- Cornwall Ontario, Canada

Meguiars Premium Wax

A. I, too, just had a new shinny black refrigerator delivered a week ago and it too is now full of swirly fine scratches. My husband tried some wax he had for an airplane but the "rag" he used was rough and made the matter worse. I went out and bought Meguiar's Carnauba Plus Premium Paste Wax and went to town on the fridge. After 3 light passes you can barely see any marks. Thank you to all who have posted before me. The can of wax is now stored under the sink for future need.

Lorrie Pritchard
- Nashua, New Hampshire USA

Q. My black stove has some white scratches on top. I saw something to fix it before, some kind of paste made with baking soda, water and something else. Apparently this paste is supposed to fill in those scratches.

Bonnie Anderson
- Cape Coral, Florida, USA

thumbsdown I had a KitchenAid that I cleaned and got swirly marks. I bought the liquid scratch out and it improved the look. I bought a new fridge and looked at the instructions for cleaning, so I wouldn't scratch this one. It scratched. I thought the last one was just a bad paint job, this is just incompetence on their part. They have to know this is a problem. Why can't they put on a heavier coat of paint. I have a double oven, microwave and gas stove that are 15 years old that have no scratches.

Sherri shelton
- Cypress, Texas Usa

thumbs up sign I went to Ace and bought the Turtlewax that was recommended. It did a fantastic job. You can't see any of the scratches. Thank goodness for the internet!

Q. Can anyone tell me how you clean now that the wax is on the fridge and how often do I need to reapply the wax.

Sherri shelton [returning]
- Cypress, Texas Usa