-----

"Crucible D2 vs. O1 work rolls"

2005

The question of sustituting D2 for O1 on 6" diameter work rolls concerns me because of possible surface oxidation that may transfer to the substrate. The rolls are grooved, geared for full contact and used to form precious metal wire. In past years, the roll material "Ketos" from Crucible was used and eventually O1 was sustituted. The rolls are hardened Rc 60/61. What should I be aware of when changing to D2?

Rich Anderson
Wire Making - Clifton, New Jersey
^

2005

Crucible offers good coverage of this topic at http://www.crucibleservice.com/eselector/general/generalpart1.html. I don't know that any readers could add to that unless they have already done what you are proposing in very similar circumstances and have anecdotal information to contribute. But we'll see. Good luck.

^

2005

D2 will cost more per pound. The machine shop will charge you more to machine it because it is tough as ---- compared to O1. That said, I would certainly expect it to last longer than O1 because it is extremely durable in most applications.

^

2005

Your question was about oxidation. In that respect D2 will resist oxidation better than O1 for it has a high content of chrome (chrome carbides are formed if heat treated), whereas O1 relies only on its high carbon content to harden (iron cabides). Now, for your application I would also consider a hard plating such as chrome which has even better oxidation and abrasion resistance.

^