-----

"Antique brass finish rivets for handbags"

2005

We are making handbags that use antique brass clasp hardware. However, we cannot find the rivets to match the hardware (they only come in nickel, gold, and black finishes) to secure the actual hardware to the lambskin leather. I believe the rivets are made of steel and simply have a gilt finish to them.
How do we change the gilt to an antique brass look? Do we use chemicals-if so where would we find them? If you have an easier solution, such as knowing of a place that carries antique brass double cap speedy rivets for leather, that would be wonderful.
thanks for your help!

Chauntelle Walsh
handbag design - Vancouver, BC, Canada
^

2005

They make rivets in brass, and there are lots of letters on this site (check the archives) on how to tarnish the brass to get an antique look.

Try to find an actual rivet distributor rather than a standard hardware store. I believe that there are a couple of distributors up near you and I know that there are quite a few more here in California. You should be able to find someone that stocks the part your looking for. I would suggest a couple of names, but Ted (quite justifiably) frowns on such things in the public letters.

Incidentally - Ted, what is Finishing.com's official standpoint on a situation like this? Since there aren't any rivet distributor advertisers (I don't think) can we list names, or is that still not in line with the aim of the website? Thanks - Jim

Jim Gorsich
Accurate Anodizing Inc.
Compton, California, USA
accurate anodizing banner
^

Ed. note: Thanks for the deference, Jim. For consumer products and for product lines that it would make no sense to advertise on finishing.com, I'd say pretend we're a magazine: use brand names and sources judiciously, trying to avoid attracting their competitors' shills :-)