-----

"Info needed on MIL-N-26074 Type 1, Class B"

2005

Received a request for quote today calling for 0.0003-0.0005" nickel plate per MIL-N-26074, Type 1, Class B. I started to do a standard EN quote, then realized that the Type/Class designations are not used in Mil-C-26074 [link is to free spec spec at Defense Logistics Agency, dla.mil], and that is when I noticed the "N". I found several references on Google for Electroless Nickel-Tin Plate per MIL-N-26074, and 1 reference to the fact that this specification was superceded by SAE-AMSC26074. I have never heard of Electroless Nickel-Tin, and could find no references to it, even in Mallory's book on electroless plating.

Has anyone heard of this specification, or of electroless nickel-tin?
Does anyone know what the Type 1, Class B specifies?

If it was April 1st, I would assume someone was out to trick me, but this is on a print originally issued 6DEC57, and last revised 3NOV82. None of the revisions change the Nickel specification.

I appreciate any help anyone has.

David Sugg
- Collingdale, Pennsylvania, USA
^

I was just asked this same question by a customer this morning (8/2/2011). Neither my Honeywell contact nor I could get a copy of the MIL-N-26074. In these cases, you have to go back to the buyer and ask for guidance in how to handle supersession. Most primes have written into their quality clauses that work is to be processed to the latest revision in effect at the time the PO was written, which at this time is AMS-C-26074 Rev B, but this should be verified.

Michael Flanigan
- Clearwater, Florida, United States
^