topic 36584, p2

Rust on new stainless steel appliances

1       2

Q. Alright I'm now scared after reading all the posts about Muriatic (Hydrochloric) acid. I used a tile and grout cleaner that has it not thinking that it would in any way damage the stainless steel appliances. The nylon brush that I used splattered the solution on the bottom of the stove and dishwasher as I was scrubbing the grout. I became immediately concerned after I tried to wipe it away with SS cleaner but it didn't work. I immediately made a baking soda paste and covered the affected areas on the stove and dishwasher and then used baking soda on the floor to neutralize the acid. I do not have rust but am now scared that I may be in trouble...have I acted quickly enough? Anything else I can do to get rid of the dark spots that formed because of the acid?

Peter Forsman
- Jersey City, New Jersey

Peter, although Scratch-B-Gone refers to scratches in its name, it works equally effectively on stains, rust, and spots due to acids in a flash.

Barry Feinman

Barry Feinman
Restore It Yourself, Inc
Carlsbad, California

restore it yourself banner

A. Hi, Peter. Never use hydrochloric acid in your home again! The thing to remember is that hydrochloric acid is NOT a liquid, it is a gas dissolved in water. Although the most immediate damage may be done to areas where it is splashed, the acid fumes permeate the air and attack your electronics, wiring, and chrome finishes as well as your stainless steel surfaces.

Q. I remodeled my kitchen 3 years ago and purchased all matching GE profile brushed stainless steel appliances. My dishwasher and refrigerator have rust spots that started to appear about 1 month ago. I always use stainless cleaner on my appliances. The floor tile work was completed before the appliances were installed so I do not believe this is a problem of the "environment" these are poorly manufactured low grade doors. I waited decades to remodel my kitchen and have matching appliances, I did not buy low end products and now I have rusty doors.

Mary Rose Chasler
Home owner - Fredonia, New York, USA

Q. Hi I used hydrochloric acid mixed with water to clean the floor tiles and after a few days the stainless steel appliances stated to build up rust what can be done to remedy the situation?

Iroshi Deliwala
- Clayton, Victoria and Australia

A. Hi, Iroshi. First off, don't do it again. You can try sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) to neutralize the acid, but a lot of damage has already been done, and this still leaves chlorides (which are bad for stainless steel) on the appliances. So, after the neutralization, a salt remover could be tried. But the wiring of the appliances has also been exposed to the acid and may be less reliable now.

Thank you!

Iroshi

Iroshi Deliwala
- Clayton, Victoria and Australia

! I have 3 different brands of SS appliances and 2 SS sinks. The sinks have no rust but all the appliances do. I have worked in the food industry for over 20 years and most commercial kitchens have stainless steel everything and I have never seen rust in these environments. For sanitation reasons most commercial kitchens see a lot of bleach water used in cleaning them throughout the day and then once a week the use of a stainless steel cleaner to buff and shine (these are usually a spray or cream with a kind of oily finish). Having this expertise and the ability to buy the commercial cleaning products, this is what I have used in my home kitchen. I don't use bleach but a damp towel or sponge for daily cleaning and the SS cleaner once a week or so. When I first saw rust (after about year) I thought it may be because I live in the damp Northwest but after hearing so many stories from people all over the world my conclusion is that all these appliance companies use an inferior SS product. I thought that after a number of years of stainless steel products being on the market that they would "work out the kinks" and look to how SS sinks and commercial products are made but it doesn't seem to be the case. I am very surprised that many of you were able to get replacement fronts for any of your appliances as I was told by the appliance store that it was just normal "wear and tear". You should feel lucky. If anyone has found a product or method for removing the rust, I would love to hear about it, I hope to sell my house in the next couple years and really don't want to have to replace all the appliances in order to do so!
I really like the clean, modern look of stainless but certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone who's in the market. In the future I will either go with the shiny black (which I had in the past and loved)or think about spending the extra $ and buying commercial appliances.

H. HEARSEY
- SEATTLE, Washington

A. The appearance of rust or 'golding' can be due to improper cleaning chemicals such as ammonia or chloride based products or can be that the manuf is beginning to use 430SS material which has a higher iron content therefore it is magnetic and more exposed to rusting. Corrosive living environments will cause the later to see rust more quickly. Our Scratch-B-Gone kit will quickly and totally remove this problem. Thanks for the question

barry feinman
Barry Feinman
Restore It Yourself, Inc
Carlsbad, California

! I thought I was the only one with the rusting problem until reading the above. I bought GE Profile appliances and began noticing the rust appearing. I have tried repeatedly to remove them to no success. I tried to contact General Electric with no success to talk to anyone. I was just left on hold three different times. I purchased these appliances at Home Depot and will contact them. How can we make this problem public so people will not buy these inferior products?

Gayl Davis
- Shingle Springs, California, USA

! I also had problems with my 2009 GE Profile series refrigerator. I had purchased an extended warranty from my appliance sales place so I called them and they talked to their local GE sales rep and GE sent out a service man to look at the refrigerator. He looked at the doors and agreed that they were rusting and they are in the process of replacing the doors. The top two have been replaced and the bottom freezer door came in damaged so they are reshipping it out to me and I should be done with this by next week. Sounds simple but I did have to get rather firm with my appliance sales team and the GE service people, but after making it clear that we had one of two situations on our hands, either a manufacturer defect or fraud they decided it was best to deal with this as a manufacturer defect and replace the doors. After reading this thread I am very surprised that some enterprising lawyer has not started a class action law suit against these manufacturers.

T Francis
- Long Beach, California USA

Barkeeper's Friend 4-pack

! I have rust spots on the face of my stainless steel Maytag dishwasher. I believe that this is a product flaw due to cheap steel that was not treated properly during manufacturing. The rusting should not occur under any circumstances on true stainless steel. I was told to write to:
Executive Department, 553 Benson Road, Benton Harbor, Michigan, 49022

I will also be seeking a product recall. Please do the same.

Jessica Corey
- Saint James, New York, USA

A. My Thermador stainless steel cooktop developed some small rust stains near the burners when it was only about 6 months old. I tried several stainless steel cleaners that had no effect. Then I read about Bar Keepers Friend =>
and gave it a try today. I was amazed to see that it completely removed the rust stains and left no marks on my cooktop. I would recommend this product for cleaning rust off of stainless steel appliances to anyone now.

Dave Strothmann
- Pine, Colorado, USA

A. I also would recommend Bar Keeper's Friend. Buy it in your grocery store in the cleaning aisle.
Removed my rust problem on oven and refrigerator and staining on dishwasher from Jet Dry spill. No scratching at all. Doesn't leave an oily film for finger prints either.

Sharon Clarke
- Plattsburgh, New York

Q. I had the same problem here as everyone else. Nice new stainless steel fridge and BAM - rust starting.

No I have not gone willy nilly with muriatic acid or the other things spoken of here repeatedly. I just tried to clean it as recommended by the manufacturer instructions.

Well - I can get it clean. I used three things:

Baking Soda
No-Scratch Scot Brite Pads
Elbow grease.

Now I am hoping that using a stainless steel polish and cleaner will prevent the problem from happening again. We shall see.

Tom Boston
- Norwood, Massachusetts, USA

Just an FYI from an "Appliance Specialist" These door panels are not 100% steel and can rust if not properly taken care of. NO WATER SHOULD EVER BE USED!! They need to be cleaned ONLY with a DRY & CLEAN rag and stainless polish. If you use anything else you run the risk of rust. The cosmetic warranty on all appliances is 30 days. It does not make them "bad products" you are just not reading your instructions and using common sense. Metal + water = rust. Plain & simple. Also the agents they have answering the phone at the manufacturer's do not have training in specific materials, etc. They are there to set up repairs and notate issues you are having and then to read you the warranty in the back of your manual.

Amy Ledo
- St Paul, Minnesota, USA

! Sorry Amy but your comment is extremely off Base saying that Metal + Water = Rust. 90% of all kitchen sinks in the U.S. are made out of?..... You guessed it Stainless Steel. How many of those are rusting after repeated use with soap and water. (Lack of) Quality manufacturing is your answer for most everyone's issues on this forum. To be disrespected by customer service and told it is a cosmetic issue is unacceptable. My 6 month old whirlpool stainless appliances are having the same issues reported here and I can assure you the manual says clean with soapy water and rinse or use a stainless steel cleaner. I have always had stainless steel appliances even in my basement and have never seen rusting like this. Whirlpool customer service management told me it is cosmetic and maybe I could use touch up paint but there is nothing they can do about it. Just an insult to hear that being said,... Paint seriously? Could you imagine buying a new Cadillac and 6 months later the paint started falling off and you were told sorry its cosmetic... no one would accept that and GM or any manufacturer would accept blame because it is on their product.

Bottom line customer service is horrible in this country and no one wants to accept responsibility.

Very upset and sick to my stomach about spending 5K and getting a POS product

Mike Zimmerman
- Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA

! I believe that consumers should be informed of the quality of stainless steel built into products with labels identifying the stainless steel quality ratings and a graph (much like on EPA milage rating on new cars stickers). This information will solve the whole problem and probably lead to the demise of stainless steel appliances when consumers are informed that rust issues may occur in the life of the product.

Joe Lawrence
- Foley, Alabama

Hi, Joe. I agree.

However, in these days where the Supreme Court says "corporations have the same rights as people", there are no limits anymore on lobby money and access, so laws don't come from the consumer protection direction anymore; they come only when the large corporations decide they want them and they tell Congress exactly what to write. The way to get the corporations to want a law, and therefore to get Congress to write them, has become to launch class-action suits in sufficient volume that the kind of labeling that you want will protect the corporations from further suits. If enough people with rusting clear-coated "not real" stainless refrigerators would join class action suits for damages for having been misled by the manufacturers, you'd very soon have the labeling laws that you want. You'll only get pennies on the dollar from such suits, with the law firms pocketing most of the settlement, but getting your money back is not the point. The point is to get the laws changed -- so find a class action suit and do it!

Q. We have purchased 2 x display fridges for our shop. After a period of 4 months, rust has surfaced...is this normal ? The technician who built them came to have a look and he used a scourer to get rid of it...( also scratched the fridges)....I want to know if it is normal to have surface rust ?

Jenny Panops
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Q. I too have a fridge problem of Rusting. LG. I am not going to sit back and just let them run over me. All of you must know that all of these brands wherever you purchased, they sold you something that said it was stainless steel, well stainless steel does not rust. PERIOD. Go back to the store you purchased from and tell them they sold you an item that said stainless steel and it is not; they sold you something under false information; they are to take care of your replacement; and they can fight the maker. IT'S FRAUD. If it is not stainless then you did not get what you paid for. Are we talking class action lawsuit?

Doreen Phara
- Midland, Texas

A. I personally have not seen HCl rust GOOD (real) stainless steel. It does have drastic effects on many other metals.
I have used diluted HCl in my washing machine to remove lime scale from the heating element and all it does is tarnish or dull the shininess. The Washing machine is ca 20 yr and not one defect.
Try a Miele appliance.

Bill Lapthorn
- Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Q. Hi Ted,

OK, so stainless steel is probably not a good choice of finish these days.

What is ?

Jay Grovier
- Laredo, Texas USA

A. Hi Jay.

I don't think high quality stainless steel (type 18-8, type 304, type 316) is a bad choice. What I think is a bad choice is low-grade stainless steel, or plain steel disguised as stainless steel to fool you.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and trends come and go, so I can't say what you should get. My wife and I chose black appliances ... but that's just us, and some readers are probably saying "OMG, black, what's wrong with those people?" :-)

I purchased a Whirlpool Gold refrigerator in August 2010. Within less than a year I had big spots where it looked like the stainless steel was wearing off. I was using a stainless steel product that the store recommended. The store, after many arguments agreed to replace the bottom freezer panel as it was the worst, but said I would have to pay $400 per door to fix rest of refrigerator. I said there was no way I was paying $400 per door when the refrigerator cost me $1500 about 2 years ago. I called Whirlpool and the customer service agent, while being very rude said I apparently used the wrong product. I said no you sold me a defective refrigerator. She also said that I was out of warranty. I said last time I checked stainless steel does not wear off. I even went back to the store and asked the salesman if it was "real" stainless and he said yes. Today I went to open my doors and my refrigerator has condensation on the inside, the temperature on the door is still 38 degrees, ideal temperature and both of my door on the inside were covered in rust. I was able to use a magic eraser and a baking soda paste to get it off. This should not be happening. My dishwasher, also Whirlpool Gold is only 5 months old. It also has streaks like someone dripped water in weird formations on the front. I am afraid to use anything on either product. I would rather have the fingerprints.

Jerri Gall
- Stafford, Virginia USA

! I've noticed that the people in the department stores spray Pledge on the stainless steal appliances. I've never used this product on my stainless. The Dacor appliances, cooktop and double ovens, have been outstanding. The counter depth Kitchen-aid refrigerator has been a different issue. Water leaks down the ice machine. This is either from someone using the ice dispenser, or from the ice building up a fine layer from the back of the ice maker itself which leaks water from the inside out. I've purchased several stainless cleaning products, and I cannot remove some of the streaks on the front doors of the refrigerator.

So far, no rust problems. After cleaning up on a daily bases, I wipe the appliances down with a clean towel or a paper towel. When guests come over, I look at the refrigerator doors to make sure that water isn't leaking out of the tray. Kids love to switch the dispenser from ice to water. I usually tell them up front not to touch the dispenser, and let me do it for them. I've come to the conclusion that it's the price you pay for having stainless.

Melanie Newman
- Charlotte, North Carolina

! I just bought a Kenmore "stainless steel" microwave from Sears and installed it two weeks ago. I have not used anything but a wet paper towel (water) to wipe it down, and I immediately used a dry paper towel to dry it. It already has rust spots, and what looks like pitting on the door.

I guess at some point this sort of thing will do some damage to the companies that are selling these inferior products. I'm certainly going to be spreading the word, and I'm going to tell Sears, though I don't think they can really do anything about it unless they gave me REAL stainless steel replacements.

Raleigh Way
- Statesboro, Georgia

! I purchased a Jenn Air stainless refrigerator; within two days the refrigerator started showing rust spots. They sent a technican who recommended they replace all the doors.

Upon inspecting the new doors they had rust spots, were dented and scratched. The doors were taken back. I asked Jenn Air to remove the refrigerator and they refused. I am taking them to court.

Be aware that the warranty covering the above is only for 30 days.

Joe Kelly
buyer - Sparta, New Jersey

Q. So I've had multiple stainless appliances of the years. (More than 20! we've moved a lot!!) Both the real thing, i.e., Sub Zero/Thermador/Wolf etc., and apparently, unbenownst to me, the lesser quality stainless (described here as GE, KitchenAid, etc.) and I have never had an issue with any of the finishes. Ever. And although the majority of these appliances were in a constant "conditioned" space, some were installed/in use in outdoor kitchens! That said, I was just getting ready to order all new (lower end) Kitchen Aid stainless appliances for a condo we have. Given my previous experience I wouldn't hesitate, however, this condo is direct oceanfront so now I'm concerned about potential corrosion/rust issues due to the salt!! Oddly enough, I wouldn't even have been aware of the potential rust issues but discovered multiple complaints while reading dishwasher reviews! Who knew? Which brings me to my question, are these lower end appliances going to be more at risk if installed in an oceanfront condo? (FYI, because it is Fla, the A/C runs 99% of the time so it's not as if there'll be constant exposure to the salt air, though there are a few times of year where we can and do open all the windows/doors for the day.)

M. Carr
- Central, Florida, US

A. Unfortunately this rusting issue is not limited to lower end stainless steel appliances. I spent $17k on top of the line professional viking series and few weeks ago. The rust started to show on the refrigerator doors. No muriatic, bleach were used or even came indoors at any time. They are still under extended warranty. I mentioned the problem to the service guy 2.5 weeks ago and that is the last time I heard from them. What happened to these companies. I will keep posting my progress. No, I will not try anything new to clean or try to get rid of the rust. They have to replace it.

Hany Boutros
- Los Angeles, California

Q. Ted Mooney - I spent the last hour reading all the letters dating back to 2005. There were several products recommended on how to clean rust from inferior Stainless Steel. Yes I purchased a Whirlpool package and my refrigerator is pitted only a few months into the purchase. Stainless steel is supposed to be durable but the manufacturers have found a cheaper alternative. Here is my question, what product would you personally use to #1 fix the problem and #2 protect the finish to prevent future occurrences? The products mentioned above were aluminium persulphate, Magic Eraser, Noxon 7, De-Solv-It Stainless Steel Reviver, Scratch-B-Gone & Bar Keepers Friend. Looking forward to your recommendations. Thank you.

Amin Khalifa
- Mt. Ephraim, New Jersey, Camden

A. Hi Amin, sorry for your hardship. I'm only the website moderator, not an expert. But I think you'll want to use the least aggressive product which will do the job. I'd probably try the Noxon 7 or another liquid/paste metal polish and count on it to leave a protective waxy film; but if the scratches/pits were too deep, then Scratch-B-Gone.

Here's the thing: if you asked what tool to use to dig a hole, people would have to ask "how big a hole" because a teaspoon would be fine for seeds in an herb pot, a hand shovel would be right to bury a box with your kid's pet turtle, but a huge steam shovel would be used to excavate a foundation for a skyscraper. See, you could dig the skyscraper foundation with a teaspoon but it would take most of eternity; and perhaps a truly skilled heavy equipment operator could peck those tiny holes in a herb pot with a steam shovel, but odds are you'd needlessly smash your pot.

Here's the tie-in: you don't fill scratches, you grind away the metal around them until the surrounding metal is level with the scratch; and you can't possibly "grind away" all the metal around a deep scratch with a mild wipe or polish; but I wouldn't want to take sandpaper to my appliance if I didn't have to. Good luck.

Q. I bought a stainless steel Bosch fridge. In less than a year its door started getting some stains all over. I also paid $500 for guarantee.
Sears's technician said "it is not acceptable" and took some pictures but Sears neglects the problem and comments it is a cosmetic issue and Sears cannot do anything about it! I have no idea what to do. Where should I complain?

Nilie Moubedi
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada

A. Hi there,
Use Barkeepers Friend to clean the rust, and then stainless steel polish.

S Juman ali
- Curepe, Trinidad, West Indies

Q. I purchased a Whirlpool Stainless Steel French Door Refrigerator on March 19, 2013. I paid $1544 which does include additional 2 year Warranty. Six Months later I have Rust below the Water Dispenser on Left Door. Magnets DO Stick to it but Magnets DO NOT Stick to my Stove or Dishwasher which are also Stainless Steel and made by GE, as some have already said.

Whirlpool says it is Cosmetic and is not covered. I say it is a Defect in the material the door was made out of. Any suggestions on getting door replaced? How can I tell IF it is really Stainless Steel? I will be writing Lowes and Whirlpool. I DO NOT GIVE UP.

Brenda Adams
- Smithville, Georgia, USA

Q. After reading alot of these comments I have heard almost brand mentioned as having rust problems except Samsung. Has anyone ever had a problem with their stainless steel Samsung appliances rusting?

Shelley Behr
- Zelienople, Pennsylvania, USA

Q. I have rust issues on the bottom freezer drawer of my Samsung French Door "Stainless" refrigerator. Lowes and Samsung will not do anything to help. I have all stainless appliances much older or the same age as my refrigerator that have not rusted. This is my first experience with "stainless" rusting. I have worked in commercial kitchens with all stainless and have never seen it rust until now. I think the manufacturers are using poor quality stainless and passing it off to the customer and the consumer should not be responsible for their fraud and product defects. Anyone aware of a class action lawsuit? I read of one in California with Krislov Law. I will contact them. If you know of a class action lawsuit or would like to start one, please email me. Something has to change!

Amber Scouller
- Gig Harbor, Washington

Q. I bought my whirlpool French door fridge in November 2013. I just went to wipe it down and noticed a bunch of tiny rust marks that were found under a magnet. I've had a stainless steel prior to that and it never had one spot on it. Trying to get through to whirlpool now but from what I've read hear it doesn't sound good. The fridge is barely 3 months old what's it going to look like in a year!

K. Pagano
- Silver Creek, New York, USA

A. I have read many of the complaints listed about the rusting of the stainless steel appliances and noted that a couple of months ago our whirlpool fridge started with small rust spots on the bottom freezer pull out drawer.
I do not know if this would work for everyone but so far it has provided satisfaction to us. I used a top grade car cleaner/wax to remove the rust spots. Following that I applied several coats of car paste wax and although several months have passed, I, so far, do not see any more rust spots and the appliances (Fridge, oven and dishwasher) are without rust. This has worked for us and initially takes a little rubbing to remove the rust but so far has been successful. I continually check for rust spots and thus far none.

Richard Kellogg
- Montebello, California. USA

! ! Hello. I wanted to thank you all for the information above. I have felt that I was alone with the problem of defective "stainless steel appliances". It is obvious that manufacturing has going really bad in America and we as consumers are left to pay a high price for manufacturers' mistakes or greed. I wanted to suggest bringing these issue to our Congress so they will ask the manufacturers or impose better laws that protect the consumers. I also suggest to post pictures of our rusted appliances on Face Book including the names of the appliances and the store that sold them because to me they are by now aware of the fact that they are selling defective merchandise without any regard for the economical hardship that it brings to the consumer. Let's get busy to restore our trust in our ability to buy without the fear of being taken advantage of.

36584-1a 36584-1b

Marina Lange
- Palm Harbor, Florida USA

thumbs up signHi Marina. First off, apologies for cropping the pictures such that readers can't see how nicely maintained your kitchen is, but we have practical limits on the size of photos we display here, and I didn't want to reduce them to the point where the rust couldn't be plainly seen, so I had to crop them.

You are clearly right that the quality of stainless steel in kitchen appliances sucks today, but as Forrest Gump said, "maybe it's both", and I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that I believe that something was used on those appliances that wasn't safe for them (like a bleach-based cleaner), or acid was used in the kitchen or garage, that accelerated this rusting (because it's two appliances probably separated throughout their manufacturing and transport life, and the microwave further from the floor isn't suffering the same way).

I'm sure Congress knows how misrepresented these crappy appliances are today, but for some reason, rather than listening to us whine, they prefer to have the Fortune 500 entertain them on yachts, serving them Caviar & Chivas Regal, likely with buxom bikini girls on their laps :-)

A. Sounds more like a job for Consumer Reports [link is to product info at Amazon] magazine to me.

As Ted points out, even properly passivated stainless can encounter damaging circumstances. We often strongly suggest to customers of our passivation products to never warranty their stainless products against corrosion as they have no control over the environment that the product is located in. Kitchens tend not to be very corrosive places until a muriatic acid based floor or tile cleaner gets used in the vicinity of the appliances. That being said, most of the time corrosion that sets in within days of installation of a stainless railing or some such is due to iron contamination that occurred in the fabricator's shop and was not dealt with.

Last winter we saw a severe problem in the aftermath of many large stainless fabrications that were transported a long distance on the back of flatbed trucks. They were supposed to have been wrapped and covered for protection from the road salt but most of them were not. I've also heard of large fabrications being transported by cargo ship across the ocean and showing the damage of the marine atmosphere when they arrived.

ray kremer

!! Yes I agree to what I am reading. Our LG Stainless Steel range has the same small rust spots all over . And Home Depot will not cover that under Warrantee -- they said it is cosmetic and that is not covered. What is now in order is a CLASS ACTION SUIT against the companies that put out this GARBAGE AND ARE NOW GOING TO FIND OUT THE POWER OF THE PEOPLE!!

Thomas Herceg
- morganville New Jersey

Hello My name is Thomas Herceg and I want to add to my previous statement about the LG gas range I spoke about.
That is, in addition to the "stainless steel" rusting and NOT being under warrantee, about 1 month after we started using it I was broiling a steak in the top oven of the double oven range.I opened the oven door to check on doneness and to turn the meat over. This act in doing so apparently MELTED THE KNOBS which control the heat settings of the top burners.
The knobs LOOK EXACTLY LIKE METAL but no they are cheap PLASTIC not even designed to withstand heat. You would think that if a big appliance company was going to put fake "METAL" looking knobs near a HOT broiler oven they would not melt.
I swear this is true.

Thomas Herceg [returning]
- morganville New Jersey

thumbs up signNot even 2 months old! RUSTED! With a little help from the b 52s and a bottle of OXI CLEAN DISHWASHER BOOSTER I scrubbed those nasty rust stains OUT! Mind you, take it easy with the scrubby side of the sponge, I applied FULL STRENGTH and did a few areas at a time rubbing in circles and VOILA!~ Had I known NOT to use white vinegar perhaps we would not be having this conversation, would we? anyhow, the oxyclean seems to have done the trick! Am sure it will have to be repeated, but for now, I am looking at my shiny new fridge SANS the rust and it feels pretty satisfying! Good luck to all and hope this helps!

maria concilio
- south orange New Jersey usa

thumbsdown Hello all:
I have read all the responses above back to 2004. 10 years of consumers complaining about small rust spots on their name brand, very expensive, "stainless steel" appliances. One person commented on Samsung, well hate to burst your bubble, but Samsung is among the scumbags as well. My husband and I waited 15 years to upgrade our kitchen appliances. I was so thrilled to get these state-of-the-art products since I love to cook. Well less than four months after purchasing and nearly 6K, we have tiny rust spots on the Samsung refrigerator and the Samsung slide in range as well as the Lowe's brand range hood. The only product that we bought about 6 months before the others was a Bosch dishwasher (no spots). We also upgraded our cabinets with matching stainless steel handles and drawer knobs-no rust. Even the inexpensive GE Profile microwave has spots on it. I do use bleach in the kitchen but not on the appliances. I had real stainless steel appliances in the early 90's and they never rusted, I just got rid of them because I hated the constant finger prints from everyday use. It's just sickening. One thing I am a stickler about is a bright, clean shiny kitchen. Frustrated American Consumer.
Thanks for letting me chime in.

Tina Duggins
- Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA

thumbsdown I purchased a Whirlpool stainless steel refrigerator from PC Richard & Son, 1 year and 3 months ago. I wasn't looking for stainless but was talked into it by the salesman. I was never told rust problems could develop. I took the 5 year warranty with PC Richard & Son. Rust appeared on the inside and outside of the doors. I was told it wasn't covered under the warranty because the problem was cosmetic. When I read the Contract it stated physical damage is not covered. To me, physical damage doesn't just happen like rust. Physical damage is a dent caused by an object or person. I feel that customers should be forewarned that stainless steel could develop rust.

I have read all the above posts and I would be interested in joining a class action suit.

Maureen Mason
- Inwood, New York

I respectfully suggest that the grade of Stainless Steel is much more important in assessing corrosion resistance than the blanket term: "Stainless".
316L Stainless Steel is much more corrosion resistant than the 304 grade designed for heat resistance (for example).
One has to have one's wits about them when attempting to differentiate oranges from lemons.
All Stainlesses ain't Stainless Sol!
Sorry, but hope this helps.
Bill Doherty

William Doherty
Trainer - Newcastle, NSW Australia

Hi William. While that's very true, the issue is that consumers will never have enough facts about the manufacturing history to make any assessment based on material of construction ... which they also will almost never know anyway. Things may be different down under, but here in America class action suits are the only realistic tool for change. Only the lawyers make money, with the consumers getting back pennies on the dollar, but the suits do help dissuade manufacturers away from bad practices.

Ted,
I respect your opinion and believe that these consumers have been "hoodwinked".
Caveat Emptor is probably inappropriate when consumers believe that their suppliers have their best interests at heart and that suppliers believe their reputations and follow on sales will be built on performance & trust.
We live in a different world unfortunately.
Most of these appliances are manufactured in 3rd world countries whose populace does not share our ethics and values.
Price is the only consideration.
I guess that sooner or later consumers will wake up to the fact that the appliances which used to last 10, 15 or 20 yrs now only last a month past warranty.
Maybe then it will be time to take Manufacturing back home?
Bill

William Doherty
Trainer - Newcastle, NSW Australia

36584-2a

!! Wow I wished I had checked out this blog post before I also purchased a supposedly "Stainless Steel" Samsung refrigerator from Best buy (with extended warranty) last year (7/24/13).

One month to the day that the manufacturers warranty ran out 8/23/14), I notice rust accumulating on panel of the side door. I never use anything caustic in my house and definitely not on my brand new refrigerator! I only use products approved for use on stainless steel. Called Samsung only to be told this is a cosmetic problem, basically my problem. They could fix it if I were willing to pay.

Needless to say I was shocked -- this is obviously a manufacturing defect in the steel. And now from reading all these comments I know I am right. I have plenty of steel products in my home and have NEVER had this problem. So I called Best Buy from where I purchased the product only to be told same thing it is a cosmetic problem and not covered.
This an outrage. Any lawyers out there, it is time for a big time class action law suit. Where are all the environmentalists concerned about these worthless appliances being dumped into landfill? Something must be done. By the way when I asked Samsung ECR agent if they ever had this problem before she said she was not aware -- an obvious lie!

Myrna Calderon
- Bronx, New York USA

Hi Myrna. Many pseudo-environmentalists are more concerned about an American shop using an ounce of phosphate to properly corrosion-proof a ton of steel components for years of life, than about a ton of phosphate-free crappy steel components being imported from China that will have to be scrapped and replaced almost immediately :-)

A. I realise that the USA is a notably litigious environment but really the only winners in class actions are the lawyers and the class action funders.
Surely the answer is to use the 4th estate.
Pepper the media!!
The one thing that such companies hate is a reduction in sales. Obviously translating to a reduction in profit.
If consumers are made aware of defective equipment they will not buy it.
In your approaches to the media it would be wise to suggest that a recall of defective appliances should occur and replacement (fit and proper) appliances supplied and installed free of charge, together with an assurance that the defective items are not sent to landfill but returned to places of manufacture.
Although technically, any grade of Stainless steel can be called stainless, it is surely misleading and deceptive conduct to imply that a grade which the manufacturer knows (or should know) is not stain-less?
Give them hell in the media and see what compensation you are offered.
That way you might get a result which satisfies you and prevents a recurrence without enabling another orgy for the bottom feeding lawyers & litigation funders.
Hope this helps,
Bill

William Doherty
Trainer - Newcastle, NSW Australia

Q. Within this past year I have also purchased both a "stainless steel" stove and dishwasher. I also have observed small rust spots on both the dishwasher panel and oven door. Just give me the name of a product that will clean this mess up and a convenient place to purchase it. Or since both these appliances are a year old or less, would it be possible to replace the dishwasher door panel and the door on the oven with another finish. The top of my stove is black and so is my refrigerator (what a relief).

May Ellis
- Akron Ohio

A. May,
I think Ted usually frowns on outright advertising by the people posting here, but since you asked directly, maybe he'll allow me to say that if you contact me I will indeed give you a name of one of my products and a place to purchase it.

ray kremer

----
Ed. note: Our bad. We should have included a link for our supporting advertisers to contact May privately, but we neglected to put in the link; it's there now for next time.

A. Rust staining on stainless is going to continue as manufacturers build more product using SS430 magnetic metal. Improper cleaning products (those containing chlorine or breach) or coastal exposure (live by ocean) will facilitate rust staining on this surface.

Regardless of reason, Scratch-B-Gone quickly restores your finish to like new while removing surface scratches and chemical acid stains as well.

36584-3a 36584-3b 36584-4a 36584-4b

barry feinman
Barry Feinman
Restore It Yourself, Inc
Carlsbad, California

Q. Photos of the appliances show the spots running down the front in streaks, not like rust, but like a surface deposit. I have this stuff too, but also on a white enamel refrigerator in addition to SS. Mine comes off with repeated application of typical glass/chrome cleaners and SS cleaners.

These type of spots also appear on car finishes due to air pollutants. I wonder if the same type of thing (contaminants in the air, condensing on the finishes) may be at work on the appliance panels.

Jeff Coursen
- Anaheim, California USA

Jeff,
No doubt it is a mix of all factors.

Certainly in a kitchen or outdoor patio environment there are plenty of things that can get onto surfaces and dry there, leaving a stains or residues with various difficulties of removal.

But there is also always a strong potential for the unwitting use of cleaners that are known to be damaging to stainless surfaces, and also we can't always count on the manufacturers to not use cheaper stainless that has its corrosion resistance hampered by the low alloy quality.

As always in this field, before you can do a proper cleaning job, you have to ask, what are you removing, and removing it from what? Not knowing the answers to these questions inevitably makes the job harder. I often am presented with a "stain that won't come off", only to find that it is in fact an area of surface etching. Of course it won't clean off. I also deal with high sulfur "free machining" grades of stainless that can bleed sulfur out onto the surface if not dealt with properly. This looks almost exactly like rust, but treating it like rust doesn't solve the issue.

Any stainless steel that is showing repeat corrosion due to environmental factors (marine location or repeat exposure to corrosive chemicals) should be repassivated on a regular basis. (Easy and safe with citric acid products.) Anything else that gets on there, of course you should clean off using an appropriate method. Scratches or etch damage due to chemical attack or severe corrosion can be handled with things like Barry Feinman's kit mentioned above.

ray kremer

!! I have Kenmore Elite french door refrigerator that has brown spots all over the bottom freezer drawer on a finish that is stainless steel.

Please everyone, contact your state's General Attorney. You can find links to contact them online. Let them know of your rusting appliance. This is the only way we can get any movement.

Please also contact the law firm Krislov Law at:
www.krislovlaw.com/contact/
Let them know of your stainless issue and ask if they will pursue a class action suit if enough consumers contact them.

Patricia Cerna
- Highlands Ranch,Colorado

Q. I have read all the posts regarding rust on stainless steel appliances. My problem is not rust, but it appears that the color of my "stainless steel" Bosch dishwasher has transferred onto the cabinet door located right next to the dishwasher. At first I thought it was a burn mark on the cabinet door, but it isn't, and NOTHING removes the color from the door. Has anybody experienced this problem? I think I will have to have the cabinet door refinished. Also,I just checked and a magnet does stick to my dishwasher, but not to my fridge or Viking stove.

Linda May
- Farmington, Michigan

Rust in 21 Days

!! I feel fortunate that I only had to wait 21 days before my Whirlpool refrigerator started showing rust spots. Only time I cleaned the doors was with a "Good Housekeeping" seal approved Stainless Steel wipe after the delivery men left fingerprints placing the unit. I have used these wipes in another home on GE appliances for 5 years with zero issues. Whirlpool technician comes on 2/17 and I am now fully prepared for battle. I have already written to Home Depot stating either replacement of doors, replacement of unit, or return of unit are only options. I will be pressing the 30-day cosmetic warranty.

As a side note, here's what's interesting. I went to Home Depot to make sure the refrigerator is marketed as Stainless Steel. It is. I noticed the price tag and product description Home Depot places on the refrigerator is held up by a magnet. I removed that from the Whirlpool model and tried it on Samsung, LG, and GE. It stuck to none. So I then looked how those price and description placards were affixed. All with double stick tape. To the average consumer, that means the Whirlpool stainless is different. Of course, I used my phone to shoot a video. Pending my outcome, it will make a nice You Tube posting.

Kevin Ash
- Orlando, Florida, USA

Update to my original post. On 2/17/15 a Whirlpool approved - and sent by the company - service technician examined my less than 30-day old refrigerator and has now ordered 3 new doors (French doors plus bottom freezer drawer door). I tried to confirm this replacement order today with Whirlpool corporate online chat. I was told they will not have a record from their authorized service vendor until the work is performed and bill is sent to Whirpool for the covered warranty work and parts. Makes sense I guess. I am continuing to post to sites like this to warn others and to create a record of my trials. Thanks for the forum!

Kevin Ash [returning]
- Orlando, Florida USA

Are chloramines in city water causing kitchen rusting?

Q. I've had 5 microwaves over the past 7 years and just purchased my 6th 3 months ago and already the inside is starting to rust. I have tried a different brand each time, Oster, Panasonic, GE, Sharp, Emerson and now Magic Chef. I have no idea if the inside was SS or not but I can say that I've tried to buy a high quality brand each time. Whenever I use the microwave, I cover whatever it is I put in there because I don't like to have to scrape off gunk stuck to the inside. As a result, I rarely need to do more than wipe out the inside with paper towel or damp sponge.

Chloramine

After reading through the comments & questions, I'm starting to wonder if the rust on all these appliances has to do with the heavy amounts of chloramine used to treat our city water. A few years back, our city switched from using just Chlorine to treat the water to using Chloramine which is a combination of Chlorine & Ammonia. I haven't used any cleaners inside my last microwave -- just tap water and I've been vigilant about making sure the inside is dry after I'm done using it each time.

Laurel Rose
- San Francisco, California

thumbsdown I bought a Samsung refrigerator in August 2015. Its freezer door started rusting so after 1-2 months; since then it is developing across the freezer door. I made a complaint to Samsung. Their tech guy came in, but said it is going to be considered as cosmetic. I followed up with Samsung Canada; they refused to replace the door, stating it is normal wear & tear. I am surprised within 6 months stainless steel caught in rusty spots. It looks Samsung had used poor quality material. Otherwise, it takes years stainless steel to get rust spots. We bought this refrigerator for $3,000.00. Samsung is making cheap products like this one I have. Should not buy it again.

N Butt
- Mississauga, ON, Canada

Rust on fridge after 32 days!

Q. I bought a new refrigerator a month ago (1/16/1016) because we have a newborn baby in the house and I thought it will be good to have a nice new fridge to store baby milk and our food. Went to retailer and since I had a stainless steel fridge that lasted 12 years I thought this will be the best; so I went into credit to buy a $2100 fridge of LG since the sales associate told me they great brand and excellent fridge....around 32 days later my son started to notice rust on the door I couldn't believe it, thinking it impossible; clean it next day re. surface gradually is getting worse, I went to complain to retailer and they said "sorry is after 30 days", manufacturer says "not covered for rust", now I am extremely upset because not only I am paying for a fridge that is rusting but also the original purpose for changing it for the baby is more hazardous than before, I can't believe that manufacturers and retailers are getting away with it! Any advise to what else to do.

Cristina Martin
- Houston Texas USA

Hi Cristina. Don't worry, it's not hazardous to you or your baby. Sorry that it's ugly though.

In the 1970s, Japan brought American automakers to their knees with the simple idea of offering consumers the option to buy quality cars. The end result 40 years later is that all cars are excellent today. I think the idea will come to appliance manufacturing eventually, but we're still in the 1970s and the transformation is yet to start :-)

! Because of other instances of defective materials showing up in products previously trouble free, I cannot help but wonder if US stainless steel is now being manufactured partly or in whole in China...ex. lead in children's toys, toxic material used in wallboard, etc. Does anyone have any info on this?

Pauline Bourgeois
- Rochester, Massachusetts, USA

Unfortunately, I have read Ted's warning regarding muriatic acid too late. It has been used a few times on the floor tile and the stainless appliances are showing brown spots, which may be rust. Will this be corrosive? Meaning, will the effect of the acid continue to eat away at the appliances, and if so, is there a means someone has found to contain the damage? Better, has anyone found a product that removes damage already incurred due to use of muriatic acid in the house? Thank you.
Bren

Brenda Carey
- Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Sorry to hear of this problem cousin Bren. I would suggest washing anything you can reach with a dilute mix of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) dissolved in water; this will neutralize any acid still hanging around, so there is no further damage. Make sure it's dilute and completely dissolved because you don't want to scratch your stainless with a scouring action with a paste.

Then you can try citric acid to dissolve any rust and passivate the stainless against more rust. Best of luck.