-----

"Graphs of relative cost as a function of size, flatness, finish?"

2005

Does anyone have a graph that shows the relative cost increase for making a part flat and polished to a certain level as the size of the part increases?

I'm trying to determine whether some parts should be smaller with better finish or larger with lesser finish for a thermal heat transfer application.

Of course, bigger is more expensive; flatter is more expensive, finer finish is more expensive. But if I have a square part that's 1 inch on a side and I make it flat and polished to some level, will a part that's 2 inches on a side (i.e. 4x area) be 4x as expensive, or more, or less, based on setup costs, polishing materials costs, and machine sophistication to make the part flat over the longer dimensions? And then 3 inches a side (9x area), etc.? Does the curve change shape at some point? I'm thinking in the 10,000 parts/year volume, not a onesy-twosy.

I don't need specific numbers, just a real sense of how price to make something flat and polished will trend with size.

Ian Spearing
- Columbus, Ohio
^

2005

Your situation is very particular. You may want to get some quotes instead for different sizes and finishes.

^