-----

"Reaction mechanism of NaOH with Iron fines in cold rolling mills"

2005

Sir

I am student of 3 yr chem engg.

I like to know what reaction mechanism take place inside the alkali tank when after the cold rolling , the cold rolled strip is passed through alkali soln (NaOH)

I mean reaction mechanism of NaOH with Fe fines (which also contain some amount of grease,oil etc. )which is used for cleaning purpose of flat product & (galvanished or annealed )coated sheets.

please also provide me the temperature - concentration graph of the above reaction.

Is there any other alternative to this. if yes, please refer me in detail.

please refer me also some name of books so that I understand it clearly.

Deepak Mandal
vocatinal trainee - Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
^

2005

I've never treated iron powders or fines with NaOH and I have learned to be very cautious in trying to extrapolate from my experience in large parts what will happen with fines and metal powders, because the huge surface areas can cause things to happen that you didn't expect. But with that disclaimer, I am not aware of any significant reaction between iron and alkali solution. Steel tanks are widely used to hold boiling and near boiling solutions of rather concentrated NaOH.

^