-----

"Finest surface finishing"

2005

Hi !

I am looking for a process with which I can get surface finish of about 10 nm (R rms) on the inner surface of a hollow stainless steel tube of 1 mm , 2 mm inner diameter. Is it possible to get down to that surface level? I would really appreciate your help.

Sach
Student - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
^

2005

Check into EDM (electronic Discharge Machining) You may be able to achieve a surface finish close to 10 RMS but this might turn out be cost prohibitive. I would expect that it would take a few passes to achieve this level of surface finish. Grinding is out of the question because of the small size of the feature and even then you would probably only achieve a surface finish of 16-32 RMS.

Bryan Parker
- New Mexico
^

2005

Again there is a very expensive method called extrude hone that can achieve a proper end result. On the cheap side, you may want to look into a process called ballizing. That is a basically shoving a solid ball through the ID.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro,
Pennsylvania

^

2005

If I'm not wrong, 10 nm is 25.4 times smaller than 10 microinches , So, you are talking really smooth, mirror. You might need to look into lapping with diamond pastes.

Another possibility would be electroforming (EF) over a higly polished mandrel of the required size. Much easier to polish and inspect an outside diameter. EF will replicate the finish. Part material can be high purity nickel or nickel-cobalt alloy (similar to stainless steel).

^

Q. I am looking for a process with which I can get surface finish of 2 µinch = 0.05 µm on the outer diameter surface of 4.75" 4145 H material cylindrical bar.
Is it possible to get down to that surface level? I would really appreciate your help.

S Jagdish
^

A. Anything is possible; however, there are more questions before a proper answer can be given. Do you have budget constraints? Do you have a lot of volume? How long are the parts?

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro,
Pennsylvania

^