-----

"Electroplating on something other than metal"

2005

I'm a grade 10 student trying to find something interesting to learn how to do over the summer. I have learned a bit about electroplating from elsewhere on this site but I just have a few questions.

Is it possible to electroplate copper or zinc onto something other than metal? (I want to electroplate my pen) it is rubber coated and I was just wondering if it is possible. If so how is it done? Would it be possible to plate it with chromium or aluminum? Could this type of project be completed at home with household thing or are more materials needed?

On a side note where could I find chromium to plate with?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks you in advance.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but the specific pen is the Papermate Comfortmate stick.

Adam G.
student - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
^

2005

I am a grade 10 student doing a little experimenting in my free time and a became hugely interested in electroplating.

I was wondering if there was any way to find out it a desired metal will be able to be plated onto another. Also is there any way to find out the amount of acidity needed to dissolve particular metals (whichever I happen to be working with).

Also is there any resource that could be used to find how the particular metal can be obtain (from thing around the house that is)or resources that would show metals that are to dangerous to electroplate/ electroplate with or way to get around these dangers.

Thanks in advance,

Adam G.
student - Kingston, Ontario, Canada
^