-----

"Clear coating "chrome vinyl decals""

2005

I've paid an sign maker to cut some tribal designs out of chrome vinyl (I think more accurately it's called chrome mirror metallized polyester vinyl and which apparently is actually some form of metal chrome) which I then placed over the factory paint job on my motorcycle.

It's 2 or 3 mil thick and so at the sharp end points of the design I've noticed that wiping with a towel runs the danger of lifting the edge. I'd like to clear coat the entire tank and fenders to protect the chrome from this (and hopefully extend the 5-7 year life of the decals). I talked to a paint guy, and he didn't have a clue as to how to approach this and so shied away from the project.

My questions are: first, is this feasible, what sort of prep or chemical would be required in this case. Second, what sort of clear-coat product would I use (standard automotive paint clear coat?)

Ty Freeborn
hobbyist - Las Vegas, Nevada
^

Clear Adhesion Promoter

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns commission on what you buy after clicking)

Pounce Pad

Affiliate Link

I'm interested in the same question. I think the issue is the clear would have nothing to bite onto. Maybe there is some kind of clear adhesion promoter that would work?

Scott Woodard
- Abilene, Texas
^

A. Hi. I haven't actually done this; I'm just talking, but:

I think I'd try to sand near the edges to taper them a bit to minimize that "corner catching". Then I'd rub the mylar down with pounce powder =>
(this is what draftsmen do to help get ink to stick to it).

Follow that with a clear adhesion promoter =>

then finish with your automotive clear coat. Good luck.

^