-----

"Chroming dissimilar materials"

2005

I am building a custom exhaust system where I am considering using the initial section of the stainless steel header pipe from the stock exhaust welded to mild steel for the remainder of the system. I want to have the system chromed but I'm concerned that, due to the different materials, there will be problems with the finish, durability, etc.. Is this a valid concern?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Matt Rollins
cycles - Hanover Park, Illinois
^

2005

Not every plater can do this, but some can. It will be easier for the plater if you use 400 series for the stainless. I think this is what is normally used for the hot sections anyway, as opposed to 300 series - but...why not just make the entire exhaust from stainless and polish/buff it? Will probably cost less than plating, and it will last longer, since the mild steel sections will rust from the inside.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina
^

help wanted ad
Mfg Engineer - Chem Engineer [Santa Rosa CA]
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee WA]