-----

"Electroplating-Chrome 3"

2005

Dear all,

We are plating company that located at Malaysia.We're using hexavalent chrome. At this moment, we're facing a problem regarding the environmental issue. One of that, is application of Trivalent chrome. I believe most of the plating company around the world are involved and knew about this thing.

Main of our customer implemented ISO 14000, that's required them to do an efficient method of waste management.

So that, we are pleased to get to know more regarding this issue.

Please provide me a few information needed:-
1. What is Trivalent Chrome/Chrome 3?
2. What is the advantage and disadvantage of using Chrome 3?
3. Please let me know a plating company that have this kind of process?

I'm very appreciate if somebody answer this questions.

MUHAMMAD RAZIF MANSOR
Plating shop - Johor Bahru,Johor,Malaysia
^

2005

Hi, Muhammad. Are we talking about hard chrome plating, decorative nickel-chrome plating, or application of a chromate conversion coating to zinc plated parts? Thanks.

^

2005

Ans 1: Simply speaking, Chrome 3 is an alternative of Chrome 6.
Trivalent chrome/chrome 3 is a less toxic material than that of hexavalent chrome.
Ans 2: advantage (as above)
Disadvantage: expensive (in Taiwan), may oxidize to chrome, not as good as Chrome 6 and no good shine color as Chrome 6.
Ans 3: as I know in Taiwan, most plating company are facing environmental issue and turn to Chrome 3 or even chrome free process. I believe in the near future on normal application, there will no more using Chrome 6.

Brian Chang
- Taiwan
^

HELLO DEAR SIR,

ARE YOU PLATING ON NICKEL OR STEEL?

TRIVALENT IS DIFFICULT TO MONITOR AND YOU MAY USE IT AS A STANDBY ONLY AND NOT LARGE VOLUME EVERYDAY

IF YOU ARE USING IT ON BRASS OR COPPER AFTER NICKEL THERE IS A NEW PROCESS AVAILABLE THAT WILL LOOK EXACTLY LIKE CHROME AND EASY TO CONTROL .THIS IS CALLED WHITE BRONZE AND YOU CAN DIRECTLY USE IT ON BRASS.

IF IT IS STEEL ALSO YOU CAN FLASH IT WITH COPPER FOLLOWED BY ACID COPPER AND THEN USE WHITE BRONZE.

BOTH GIVES GOOD COVERAGE.

THE LATER BATH IS CYANIDE BASED AND YOU HAVE TO GIVE A GOOD FUME EXTRACTION SYSTEM FOR OPERATION

TRY.

GOOD LUCK

vasudevan narayanan
Vasudevan Narayanan
- Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
^