Science experiment with zinc and sand

2005

I am doing a science experiment that in which I have to separate zinc from sand. The only way I know to to this is to dissolve the zinc with hydrochloric acid. My problem is, I need to get the zinc back by itself (not as zinc chloride) so that I can record its mass.

Rachel R
High School Chemistry - Bland, VA, United States

2005

I'm not familar with this experiment, Rachel, but I would guess that the key to it is that your second sentence is true but your final sentence is not. It would seem to me that if you weigh everything going in, and everything going out, you can determine the amount of zinc with simple math without even using chemistry, and then cross check your calculation via a chemical equation and more simple math.