-----

"Poor results from electroplating experiment"

2005

I am doing a project for applied science in grade 9 and we are electroplating, I got the bubbles coming off the piece being plated and I knew it was working but when I lifted it out it was black, so I rubbed it off and the metal had just a slight copper colour and I let this sit overnight in a vinegar and salt solution, I also used a 6v flashlight battery, can you help me?

35550-before
with the black still on

35550-after.jpg
with the black rubbed off

Michael H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - utopia,ontario, Canada
^

2005

Your pics are too low resolution to show the plating, but they do show a good blue color (copper content) in the plating solution. You should be using 1-1/2 volts, not 6 volts, but your results were generally satisfactory. The purpose of this experiment should be only to demonstrate the principle of electroplating, and hopefully even to quantify those chemical principles.

You should not expect heavy, bright, copper plating because that involves a whole bunch of things that are not safe and appropriate for use in high school science class. That's okay.

^