Getting paint from "bleeding" shutters off our exterior brick surface

2005

We thought we used a high quality exterior paint a few years ago when repainting our outside shudders. Over the past three years the paint has "bled" onto the brick and a white bleed is all over the bricks surface under each shudder. We've tried power washing, paint remover (appropriate for removing paint from brick) and stiff brushing, but nothing works. I read most of the replies from other's who have had similar problems, but I'm not sure that I got my answer. Thank you. Joan

Joan Esola
hobbyist - Monmouth Junction, New Jersey

2005

You probably did use a high quality paint, but the wrong one for the particular application. "Chalking" of paint is not necessarily bad--it keeps it fresh looking, But when that paint is on shutters on a brick house, chalking is obviously a problem. There are many brick cleaners, but I don't know what will prove best for you. Try a solvent like mineral spirits [affiliate link to product info on Amazon] with that wire brush is you haven't yet.

2005

You might have some success using a dilute mixture of Muriatic acid and water applied by stiff brushing.

If the brick is artificially aged or if it was "used brick" intended to be decorative, the acid may remove some of the lime (cement)-- if this is the case, use the acid sparingly and rinse it quickly and thoroughly with water.

Also, acid may damage exposed plants or shrubs... and your skin... if not properly protected.

Jim Peterson
- Mpls, MN, USA