-----

"Stripping of Copper Leaving Nickel unchanged"

2005

I am interested in preferentially stripping copper without affecting any nickel that has been electroplated on the copper. Basically I have a copper foil stuck on a board sheet (similar to the type used by Printed Circuit Board Manufacturers) with nickel plating done on the copper side in parts. I need to know how to strip the exposed copper leaving the nickel plating unaffected.

Thank you in advance.

Sumeet Mehta
Plating - Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
^

2005

Copper complexes much more strongly than nickel.
Especially with cyanide ion. Soaking your boards in a shallow bath of buffered cyanide (neutral or mildly basic) for a long time, might work. Oxygen from air will be providing the oxidizing power. It can only diffuse in there slowly. Electrolyzing with a very low voltage (~1 v) or limited current might help it along.

James Swenson
- Los Angeles, California, USA
^

2005

Dear sir,
I am stuck with one problem
We have manufacturing finned tubes, which is used in various industries, in finned tubes contact in between fin & tube is very critical, our finned tubes is rejected due to contact in between fin tubes is not 100% & both material is carbon steel, tube inside there is fuel gases & temp. is 500 deg.C, we have tried out in hot dip (melting temp is 40 °C). What is electrolysing nickel? please guide us,
thanking you & awaiting your response accordingly.

SUDHAKAR ANCHAN
HEFT ENGINEERS - Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
^

2005

I am not implying that I am confident that electroless nickel is a suitable answer to your problem, but electroless nickel is a plating solution that will deposit a nickel coating on properly prepared steel components. Typical thicknesses would be up to about 0.001" and because electrolytic current is not involved, the thickness of deposit is quite uniform.

^

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]