World's most popular finishing site / Internet's friendliest corner

Q&A Silver Plating per AMS2410, AMS2411

2005

Q. Could you please tell me what will be the parameters for post plate baking for parts that have been plated per AMS2411 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] and are made of low alloy steel, AMS 6304 of maximum hardness 40 RC?

Georgia Spiropoulos
aerospace - Longueuil, Quebec, Canada

2005

A. My QUICK review of AMS2759/9 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] says you want to use 375 °F for 3 hours minimum.

lee gearhart Lee Gearhart
metallurgist - E. Aurora, New York

Silver plating peels off at thread roots

Q. Hi all,

One of our vendor doing silver plating AMS2410 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet], AMS2411 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] in steel metal (AMS6322). But after Baking few of the parts in a lot have peel off, blisters. Since all parts are INTERNAL THREADED NUTS, peel off happened at thread roots. Could you please advise the root cause and corrective actions.

Many Thanks in advance,

SAJITH S.K.
QC INSPECTION - BANGALORE, INDIA

A. My impression, from your description, is that your vendor is not getting coverage of the nickel strike prior to silver plating on the internal threads. The internal threads are very low-current density areas and usually require longer tank times in the nickel strike and silver strike baths before the silver plate bath. As for AMS2411 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet], there is only one company, to my knowledge that can meet the requirements of this specification without either violating the letter of the specification, or having a reject level of >65%.

Kent Backus
Fort Worth, Texas, USA

A. Another possibility is that the root of the thread is not getting clean for any number of reasons.

Chisel-Knife Adhesion Testing of AMS 2411 Silver Plating

August 15, 2019 -- sorry, not posted until 9/26

Q. We are getting inconsistent adhesion test results when silver plating per AMS2411 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] on low alloy steels (Thickness: <.001"). ASTM B571 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] provides vague guidelines as to how to perform the chisel-knife test, although we believe that the inconsistent results might arise from how the chisel/knife shears the plating interface, i.e., force used, angle, etc.

Any thoughts as to why some facilities pass a given plating batch and others fail parts from the same batch. Most suppliers seem to prefer the knife method as the plating is usually under .001". SAE committee for AMS 2411 seems to revise the adhesion requirements often, so I am wondering if my issue is more widespread than I thought.

Fabian Edelmann
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada

adv.    angelgilding logo