-----

"What does the finish requirement 63 RMS mean?"

2005

I'm working for an American company. I encounter problems with the technical requirement on the drawing. Could you please help me?
1.What is the difference between the two words "finish" and "finishing"?
2.What does the finish requirement 63 RMS mean? What are the full letters of abbreviation RMS?

Sincerely,

Evan Yuan
Manufacturing - Los Angeles, California
^

2005

"Finish" can be a noun, meaning the surface treatment which is applied to an object, or it can be a verb, as in "to finish". Finishing is the process of applying a finish.

RS is Root Mean Square, and is a measure of surface roughness. Smaller numbers are smoother finishes.

Jeffrey Holmes, CEF
Spartanburg, South Carolina
^