-- this is a no-registration site.

-----

"Electropolishing"

2005

Q. I am trying to electropolish Stainless Steel (Inox). I have added all the different acids but not sure on the Qty per acid. I am getting a matte like shine not a bright finish.

Brett Authers
Bull bars - South Africa
^

2005

A. That sounds like "etching", which is very common in electropolishing if anything is out of the suggested range. Especially, it is universal if the current density is too low. What is your current density, and what acid concentration are you actually running?

^

2005

A. The matte finish sounds like 'frosting' to me. This sometimes happens with a lack of current or poor pre-treatment. Make sure the surface is very clean and free from oxides. I can't remember off the top of my head but I think a solution of about 60% Phosphoric acid, 30% Lactic acid and 10% Sulphuric acid is about right. Give the parts about 10V for 2-3 minutes.

Chris Matthews
- East Sussex, England
^

2005

Q. Dear friends, I want to know the material of the pads used in the Electropolisher's Anode?

Ranjit V Srivatsaa
- Chennai, India
^

2005

Q. Is there a standard or a specification for electropolishing?

Bill Rooney
- Milford, Massachusetts
^

2005

A. Hi Bill. ASTM B912 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] is a general one, Bill. But there are others for some particular industries, and there may even be one covering the particular industry or type of parts in question. Please expound on your situation. Thanks.

^