Best Coating for a Polished bare aluminum bike frame

Some clearcoating solutions (adv.)    g j nikolas banner   everbrite banner  

(1999)

Q. I'm wondering what would be the best coating to use to clear coat a polished aluminum bike frame. I don't think anodization would work since the acid etch would probably affect the polished state of the metal so I'm wondering if a 2 stage AL paint would be best or if there is another recommendation to protect polished bare Aluminum. Thanks in advance.

Todd Morken
Bismarck, North Dakota

(1999)

A. You can try Clear Powder Coating

Nippinder Singh
New Delhi (INDIA)

Por-15 Glisten Clearcoat

(1999)

A. The best clear paint that I have come across is a single pack called Pelucid marketed by POR-15. It is crystal clear,non-yellowing, very hard & tough & resists everything.

Barry Taylor
- New Zealand

Hi, Barry.

According to Por-15, Pelucid is "for painted or unpainted fiberglass, wood, or any other interior surface". I believe you are thinking of their Glisten PC =>
which they say is "a Rock Hard clear topcoat designed for spray or brush application over all metal surfaces, including highly polished aluminum and chrome surfaces".

(2001)

I am looking for information on how color a bare Aluminium bike frame. After doing some research I have determined that painting Aluminium is not that simple and requires a number of steps to prep the metal.

If I leave the frame unpainted will it corrode over time? Also would applying some type of dye be an alternative to painting ?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Karl K [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Montreal, QC

Hi, Karl.

For aluminum to accept dye properly it must be anodized, which is a process that builds a honeycomb surface on the aluminum to absorb the dye, and which is subsequently sealed. A clearcoat alone is no match for anodizing or proper pretreatment and painting, but it may be "good enough" in corrosion resistance. Bare aluminum will usually become unsightly with volcanic corrosion pits and white blotches of discoloration. Good luck.