Need help with Titanium Nitride TiN coatings

(2005)

Q. I am trying to coat a glass or silicon substrate with Titanium Nitride. Is it possible to evaporate Titanium in a let's say 10^-5 or less mbar Nitrogen atmosphere in order to get a nice thin layer of TiN on my substrate? Has anybody done that before?

Andrei Honciuc
UofA - Tuscaloosa, Alabama

A User's Guide to Vacuum Technology

Q. I am coating TiN (PVD golden) on glass surface but TiN coating mostly remove or fails after some hours of coating.
Coating parameters are: temperature 150-160 °C, vacuum during deposition coating 1.0E-1 pa. I want to know how can I coat glass with good adherence?

hasan laraib
new delhi vacuum coating - hyderabad .pk

A. Yes, it is difficult to coat TiN on glass whereas it is straightforward to deposit Ti on it. My experience is that immediately after coating TiN looks beautiful on glass. But pretty soon it shrinks, cracks and crumbles into tiny flakes. I guess it is due to built in stresses both in glass and TiN and a mismatch in the crystalline properties. In fact it is not possible to deposit even gold directly on glass. But commercially it ( I.e TiN as well gold) is routinely done. I think one could try the following:
1. Pay utmost attention to pre cleaning and in situ cleaning and ion etching.
2. I don't know the technique you are using for depositing TiN. Unbalanced magnetron might be more suitable than others.
3. An inter layer of either Cr or Ti helps in depositing gold on glass. You may try this. I use cathodic arc technique. Ti inter layer was not of any help. But there are a number of factors.
4. It may also depend on the type of glass one uses. I guess it would be much easier to coat on quartz because of its crystalline properties.
5. Deposition temperature is another important factor.

Good luck! Please share your experience.

Prabhakara H.R.
Bangalore Plasmatek - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Q. Thank you dear Prabhakara H.R. for replying to me.
I am using cathodic arc source. Could you tell me about pulse bias power supply or ion etching for cleaning purpose before coating TiN?
I have DC power supply 40kw -- can it be used for cleaning in chamber?
I hope for reply from you soon.

hasan laraib [returning]
- hyderabad, pakistan

Q. Sir. I am coating TiN on glass products with cathodic arc source but TiN coating become fail after some hours, could you suggest me which plasma cleaning is appropriate for cleaning in the vacuum chamber before coating for my machine, machine size is 2000 * 2600 mm.

hasan laraib [returning]
- hyderabad, pakistan

A. I don't have any ready-made answer. You have a really big machine. I don't know what is the glass object you are trying to coat, configuration of the machine, purpose of coating, your current cleaning steps etc. However you cannot apply a DC bias to glass as it is not electrically conducting. In principle one can apply RF bias. But it may not be practical in such a big machine. You may perhaps generate a glow discharge using the DC supply and expose the glass objects to the plasma thus generated before coating TiN. The manufacturers of the machine could be of some help.

H.R. Prabhkara