a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedsPublic Forum
letter 33815

Nitinol pickling, descaling, etching process

A discussion started in 2005 & continuing through 2017 -- add your Q to bring it back to the Hot Topics page.

(2005)

Q. After having shaped a Nitinol strip at 500-600 °C, I need to remove the oxide layer generated during the heat treatment, and have a shiny surface. The selected process is etching. I am looking for the chemical composition of the etching media.

Hani rauch
- Ceasarea, Israel

(2005)

A. The chemical thinning process of the TiNi alloy is tested using two methods: the chemical etching with the assistance of ultrasonic agitation, and the electropolishing. There are two chemical solutions, Solutions A and B, for chemical etching. Both of them consist of the solutions of HF, HNO3 and H2O with different volume ratios, in which Solution A is HF : HNO3 : H2O ratio 1 : 4 : 5, and Solution B is 1 : 5 : 20.
For the electropolishing process, the electrolyte is composed of H2SO4 and CH3OH with 1 : 4 in volume ratio. The applied voltage is 5 V and the operation temperature is 208 C.

Source: Materials, Chemistry and Physics, 58 (1999) 162-165

Niti Xinit
- Turkey

Q. When you use the solution of HF:HNO3:H2O in the two different proportions, what happens to the NiTi Surface?

Saskia Castro
student - SLP, Mexico

Sulphamic Acid Management for Nickel-Titanium pickling and descaling

Q. Hi
I'm performing a couple of tests on Nickel Titanium to remove the oxide layer after heat treating it in a salt bath. I've been using a mixture of Sulphamic Acid, Hydrogen Peroxide, and water and then heating the solution with the Nickel Titanium and just mixing it while it removes the oxide layer. I've been having trouble with guaranteeing I can't use the solution anymore and was also wondering if there is any way I can save some of my money and somehow do something to reuse the solution.

Is there also a way to rejuvenate the sulphamic acid so I can use it for longer?

Bilin Loi
Student - Madison, Wisconsin

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to search the site: