plating, anodizing, & finishing Q&As since 1989
Diatomaceous Earth vs. Shellfish Allergies?
Q. Hello, My name is Matthew. I am the assistant facilities director of an Athletic club. I have a "potential" member who is extremely allergic to shrimp and other shellfish. She is concerned with the use of shrimp or any type of sea shells used as a chemical treatment or in the filtration process of our spas and pool. We use DE in our filtration process.
My question is: Is the use of "Diatomaceous Earth" in a pool's filtration process a health hazard/issue to any person(s) having allergies to Shrimp and other shellfish products?Matthew V [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
athletic club - Seattle, Washington, United States
A. Hello I have a shellfish allergy and i took some to help with a gut parasite ... and ended up with full body hives; so yeah, would be cautious.S sommerville
April 15, 2023
Q. What about Aluminium oxide ingested daily in the form of diatomaceous earth mixed into a glass of water? How toxic might that be?
I have a friend gone crazy, who is holistically trying to treat herself for some imagined "worm" by drinking this mixture twice a day! Aside from the obvious abrasive issue (!), what about toxicity to the kidneys and nervous system? I appreciate a response from anyone who knows the effects this might have on a human being.
February 26, 2012
Your purchases make finishing.com possible
A. Hi, Sherry. Diatomaceous earth is not aluminum oxide; it's mostly silica, although it might contain a few percent aluminum oxide.
Apparently food-grade diatomaceous earth is widely used in the fashion your friend is using it, but usually on animals, less commonly by people. I don't know the usual dose, but apparently health food stores sell it.
Ted Mooney, P.E.
Striving to live Aloha
finishing.com - Pine Beach, New Jersey
February 27, 2012
Q, A, or Comment on THIS thread -or- Start a NEW Thread