Restoring a cowboy movie pot

2004

Hello

I was looking over your site and It looks as if you might have the answer I'm looking for... I have a very old large cast iron pot, Like the ones in the cowboy movies :) it's compleate with the lid and it's numbered. However the problem is it's quite rusty. I have scrubbed my hands raw.. My question is what is the best thing to use to remove the rust and not damage the pot? I appreciate anything you may be able to assist me with.

Thank You!

Have A Great Day!

Julie Young
home fixens - Palm Springs, Calif, U.S.A.

2004

The removal of the rust depends on the extent of the damage, and the type of metal used in it's construction. For the quickest and easiest I suggest a wire brush attachment for an angle grinder (don't forget to have a face mask on!) Just wire brush the cooking surfaces. Now if it is going to be used just treat it as you would normal iron cookware, apply a light coating of vegetable oil between uses (after cleaning normally). It is good to have the pot at a warm heat when you apply the oil (just a little beyond where you can touch the bare metal comfortably). As for the oxides on the outside, I'd suggest bee's wax, it will darken the rust to a good solid black (if it is flaking off use a wire brush to take off the worst of it then apply). Bee's wax is commonly used in blacksmithing for protecting metals that you do not want a chemical on.

Give me a better idea of what it's made of and what you will be using it for and I'll see what else I can suggest to you.

Marc Banks
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina

2004

You can use 5% citric acid solution (immerse your pot in solution)! Ammonium citrate solution is even better choice (5% solution, 50 gm citric acid and add ammonia to pH 3,5).

- Zagreb , Croatia