Precipitant in chrome plating water treatment

2004

I am doing research on removal chrome of the rinse water of plating plant by ion exchange column. My feed water is the rinse of chrome plating, contain mostly Cr(VI), when pass thru the strong base anionic ion exchange column, a lot of brown precipitant form inside the column. Sent to analytical lab, and the answer for these is unknown substance, although they can point out what metal in it, but not pin point "this is Cr(OH)3" or similar. If you can have a go on what is this precipitate? The precipitant is not dissolved by caustic or acid, to me...

Oliver Shallcross
Environmental - St Louis, SA, USA

2004

I give up, Oliver, where is St. Louis SA? But if you're lobbying for the cannonization of Satchmo, I'm on your side :-)

My bet is that that brown precipitant is oxidized and destroyed ion exchange media. Hex chrome is very hard on resin.