Where are pennies made?

(-----) 2004

Q. To who this may concern,

I was doing a project on pennies And I was wondering where is the main factory of penny making? Is there even such thing? And if not, Then I have a another question. How do You make the markings on a penny? Thanks for your time! I hope I didn't waste it!

Sincerely,

Samantha C. [student's last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
student - New Milford, Connecticut, America
^

2004

A. The zinc disks are electroplated with copper at commercial plating shops, and then shipped back to the U.S. Mint where the markings are stamped into them similarly to the way you might press your fork's pattern into mashed potatoes, but with much stronger and faster equipment than a fork, called a hydraulic press.

The mint has a number of such factories across the United states called "mints", and more info is available at www.usmint.gov.

^

2004

A. Samantha,

Re your penny project, well, where did the penny originate from? You should know that .... England.

And I guess that the main H.Q. for pennies in the UK is the Bank of England.

Hence, their famous expression of "Spending a Penny" however these days it'll probably cost quite a bit more.

Freeman Newton [dec]
(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away

^