Seeking Software for comparison of corrosion resistance

(-----) 2004

Q. Hello:

I am a graduate student in the Dept. of Chemical engineering studying at the University of Toronto. I am currently looking for a software that can compare materials with respect to their corrosion resistance, lifetimes, cost etc. for the purpose of material selection for a particular application. I would like to know if there is a website from which I can download and use / use online a software that can do this.

Harshan Radhakrishnan
Student - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
^

2004

A. Try corrosionsource.com website! Good luck!

- Zagreb , Croatia
^

2004

A. Have you tried contacting Oak Ridge National Lab?

Jeff Russo
- Kokomo, Indiana, USA
^

A. Hi Harshan. You would largely put this site out of business if there really was a practical way to pick a finish with software. Someday with AI probably, not yet though.

I'd suggest a "systems" approach if you want to try developing such though, by which I mean starting at the top: whether a cathodic protection coating vs. a barrier layer coating would be better, then whether an organic vs. inorganic coating would be better for that, then which method of applying such a class of coatings to an article of that material, size, shape, and required production would be better.

Coming from the opposite direction might also be possible. Start with a list of ten thousand finishes and their limitations rather than their strengths. For example, rather than focus on what hot-dip galvanizing is good for, eliminate it from the list of potential finishes if the substrate is not steel; eliminate mechanical galvanizing if the size and shape is such that it can't be tumbled.

Still, a major complication will be that so many finishes are multi-layer: copper-nickel-chrome plating, CED coating followed by powder coating, hot-dip galvanizing followed by paint, nickel plating followed by PVD application of ZrN. In brief, I think finishing consultants will be able to earn a living for a long time to come, and the best software will remain a web browser allowing you to post your questions here :-)

^