Should I use copper or galvanized gutters

(-----) 2004

I have purchsased a 100 year old historical home that is painted white. It currently has galvanized painted white gutters. Some of the gutters and downspots are rusted. I would like a suggestion what I should replace the gutters with, galvanized or copper. Both will have to be painted white. What preparations are needed for both. I do have painters starting on the exterior later this week.

Steven BASS
- Louisville, Kentucky, USA
^

2004

I think it would be a waste to use copper if you are going to paint it, part of the appeal of copper is the lovely patina that develops over time. Copper is also far more expensive.

I would continue to use aluminum gutters, they will match your existing gutters and will cost you less.

Jeff Edgar
- Burnaby, BC, Canada
^