-- The Home Page of the Finishing Industry
A website for Serious Education, promoting Aloha,
& the most FUN smiley you can have in metal finishing

topic 31345

How to formulate parkerizing solution?



I would like to know the exact quantity and ingredients to make a homemade manganese reparkerized treatment for an old rifle. At the moment in Italy I can't find any prepared solution to do it. Any suggestion Is appreciated.


Daniele [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
parkerizing - Italy


Parkerizing process(according to Krause):

Take 0,18 lit pure phosphoric acid mix it with 0,18 lit water add 90 gms iron fillings when all iron is dissolved add 18,5 lit water,immerse objects in hot solution 30 - 180 min.

Good luck!

Goran Budija
- Zagreb , Croatia


Zinc phosphate based solution:
1,8 gm zinc fillings
5,7 gm phosphoric acid
Dissolve zinc in acid.Take 6,5 parts of this solution and mix it with 1000 parts water.Cold
immersion(30-180 minutes).Dry without rinsing, then oil, wax or lacquer .

Good luck!

Goran Budija
- Zagreb , Croatia


Do you have a formula for Manganese Phosphate solution ? for Parkerising. Brownells [linked by editor to Brownells website] have one in the USA but it is not available in Australia, and they won't send it due to probs sending Chems by post or Courier..

Luke Speer
- Safety Beach, NSW, AUSTRALIA


You can use 30-40 gm manganese phosphate /1 lit water solution! Good luck!

according to W. Machu: Nichtmetallische Ueberzuge,Wien 1952.

Goran Budija
- Zagreb ,Croatia

March 26, 2009

Read Goran's suggestion of Manganese Phosphate in water....
Isn't manganese phosphate insoluble in water ?

Vincent Borg
- Malta Europe

July 2, 2009

Where is a source of Manganese phosphate, I have googled it to death with no luck. All refer to using it but where do you get it?

Jan Soroka
material scientist - Dallas, Texas, US

July 5, 2009

Hi, Jan. Manganese phosphate in this sense is not a commodity chemical, but a chemical process which you buy from a manufacturer or distributor of metal finishing chemicals. You can start in our Chemicals & Consumables directory and look for "phosphate". Good luck.


Ted Mooney, Teds signature
Ted Mooney, P.E. RET
Pine Beach, New Jersey

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If you have a question in mind which seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

ADD a Q or A to THIS thread START a NEW THREADView This Week's HOT TOPICS

Disclaimer: It's not possible to diagnose a finishing problem or the hazards of an operation via these pages. All information presented is for general reference and does not represent a professional opinion nor the policy of an author's employer. The internet is largely anonymous & unvetted; some names may be fictitious and some recommendations may be deliberately harmful.

  If you need a product/service, please check these Directories:

JobshopsCapital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices

©1995-2017     -    Privacy Policy
How Google uses data when you visit this site.