Avoiding damage when using muriatic acid to clean tiled floor

(-----) 2004

When using muratic acid to clean a tiled floor, what should you use for clean-up to nuetrilize the acid, if anything at all? Second, what will the acid do to grout?

Jim Delaunay
health club manager - Morristown, New Jersey
^

2004

First off, the disclaimer. I have never done industrial ceramic tiling and know little about that industry.

But I have done substantial ceramic tiling at home in several houses over a period of years without resorting to acid. And I have used Muriatic Acid [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] for other purposes and seen its effects, and I have published numerous letters here from people and businesses whose property has been seriously damaged by muriatic acid fumes from floor cleaning.

In my ignorance I assume that industrial tilers simply don't take the time to wash the grout off the tile before it dries. The reason may be that it has to be washed about a dozen times, emptying the bucket and rinsing the rags again and again and again and again. It is terribly time consuming. It's probably easier to give it a quick wipe, let the balance dry, and dissolve it with muriatic acid.

Clearly the acid damages the grout: it's supposed to. But those acid fumes also hold very high risk of damaging all of your fitness equipment, and I don't think it should be done. Make sure whoever does it is well insured, and inspect your gym equipment with them before and after the job.

^