Not a lecture hall but a roundtable with a seat for you!
60,000 topics spanning 36 years. Education, Aloha, & Fun

Difference between aluminum vs. jig plate aluminum?

A discussion started in 2004 and continuing through 2020
Adding your Q. / A. or Comment will restore it to the Current Topics page

2004

Q. Upon machining aluminum flanges I was asked by the shop mechanic would I rather use the jig plate aluminum instead to make the job easier. I didn't know what to tell him, so my question is what is jig plate? More specifically, how is it different from aluminum?

Jason Hall
student - Chicago, IL, U.S.

2004

thumbs up sign I would pose that question back to him. If he's your teacher, he should explain it to you.

T. Beyreis
- Wheeling, Illinois, USA

2007

A. I believe (?) jig plate is as-cast, with no further heat-treatment or processing. Any authorities to confirm?

Thomas Jrank
- Stanford, California, USA

A. Jig plate is a carefully cast plate to cause a very fine grained microstructure, fairly uniformly across the thickness of the plate. It is used to make jigs (thus the name) and fixtures because of its exceptional dimensional stability owing of the fine, uniform microstructure.

Ivan Rodriguez
- Richardson, Texas

A. Aluminum Jig Plate: To answer your question... Jig plate is continuous cast and fully stress-relieved aged to full heat condition. The high accuracy finish, ground on both sides, eliminates the need or additional machining.

Frank Lento
- Rancho Cucamonga, California, USA

Q. If I have a customer asking for 9mm Jig Plate could I offer grades 6061, 2020 or 7075 aluminum plate in the CF temper?

Penny Johnson
- Corona, California

Jobshops Capital Equip. & Install'n Chemicals & Consumables Consult'g, Train'g, Software Environmental Compliance