How do I perform incoming QC on the anodize?

(2004)

Q. What is a simple and cost effective way to perform incoming inspection (inspecting the anodize) on machined aluminum parts. Parts are typically aluminum heat sinks, 6063. Thank you.

Andy Brecklin
Manufacturer - Chicago, Illinois, USA

(2004)

TUTORIAL FOR NEWBIES:

Please see our Introduction to Anodizing to get a quick feel for what this is about.

A. Hello Andy. Step 1 is to have the purchase order in front of you and to make sure it specifies what the anodizing shop was supposed to do. If the purchase order references a mil or ASTM spec, make sure you get a copy of that spec; that spec will also reference additional specs regarding thickness testing, seal quality, abrasion testing, corrosion testing, etc. Get those specs as well.

If the purchase order doesn't clearly specify what you have ordered, complete with reference to accepted specs, please talk with purchasing & engineering. There is no such thing as "commercial quality anodizing", and you cannot do your inspection job if engineering and purchasing have not done theirs of specifying what they want :-)

Best practices for QC of anodised surfaces

October 6, 2017 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Hi!
I'm developing a product which will be anodised. It's important that the anodised surface is free of imperfections since consumers in the hobby are used to very high standards of anodising from most companies.

I won't be doing the anodising myself, but I will need to check the surface of each unit to make sure it is acceptable. I haven't had any experience carrying out QC on anodised surfaces so I am seeking suggestions on best practices.

Jake Higgs
- Birmingham, U.K.

If I were you,firstly, I would read "Qualanod" (specifications which had been written by estal (european surface treatment on aluminium) at www.qualanod.net/
You will find all the information which you wanted about anodizing quality.
Sincerely,

alaattin tuna
- TURKEY,sakarya

thumbs up sign Thank you for the suggestion, Alaattin, I will look into it!

Jake Higgs
- Birmingham, England, United Kingdom