a Website for Serious Education ...
plus the most FUN you can have in metal finishing.

HomeFAQsBooksHelpWantedAdvertizeForum

Antique dealer asks how to remove lacquer from silver

A discussion started in 2004 & continuing through 2017.

(2004)

Q. I am an antique dealer and buy old silver pieces. I don't mind the elbow grease to clean some of the black pieces. The thing that really gets me is when they have been lacquered and the piece looked polished and has black spots where the lacquer has worn off. How do you remove this lacquer without damage to the silver underneath?

Kurtis L. Kivi
antique dealer - Iron Belt, Wisconsin, USA

(2004)

A. You can use fruit stone blasting or plastic media blasting or you can use chemicals such as acetone, MEK / methyl ethyl ketone, or paint removers.

Good luck

Cair Shishani
Cair Shishani
aircraft maintenance - Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

(2004)

A. You can use any solvent based paint stripper! Sometimes you can use 4 parts acetone /1 part ammonia (25%) mixture! Boiling in washing soda solution also can help (200 gm soda/1 lit water). Rinse well.

Acetone

A. Acetone works real well =>

... (not Nail Polish Remover). Rinse with soapy water. Polish with your silver polish. Can be used on Plate as well as Sterling. Works fast, super easy.

William G. Stevens
- San Francisco, California, USA

A. Lacquer thinner will take it off in seconds

Robert H Roberts
- marietta Georgia

Q. I took silver candlesticks to a shop to remove the lacquer. It was quite expensive, but the man said my candlesticks were sterling, not plate as I thought.
Can I get rid of the dark spots and really strip and then polish them? They are very old and beautiful.

Esther Teller
- Potomac , Maryland usa

A. Hi Esther. I'm confused ...

You took these candlesticks to a shop and, after you spent a lot of money on the restoration, he gave them back to you with the lacquer supposedly stripped, but they still need further stripping, they have dark spots, and need polishing? What kind of "stripping" would silver need if the lacquer has already been stripped?

Or do you mean "It would have been quite expensive", so you didn't have it done, rather than "It was quite expensive"? Not nit-picking about your grammar, just trying to understand your question. Thanks.

Q. I inherited a silver tea urn that belonged to my great grandparents brought out of Russia when they escaped like many Jews. My Aunt had some kind of finish put on it which makes it look more like stainless steel (not quite) it is much darker than silver and does not tarnish. I am so curious to know what it should really look like. Would appreciate any input. Thank you so much.

Shirley Good
owner - Dallas, Texas USA

A. Hi Shirley. I think you already know what silver should usually look like, because you've described how this item looks darker than it should. But whether this particular urn once looked different than silver usually looks, due to some treatment by the manufacturer, is impossible to say.

Your aunt may have had it rhodium plated, or lacquered, or clear coated, but there are so many possibilities and countless millions of different pieces of silver holloware. She may have even painted it to disguise its value. My personal guess, though, is that it's rhodium plated ... is it the color of a shiny new "white gold" ring?

Q. Thanks for your prompt reply I really appreciate it. So now is there some way I can do a test area to try and remove the finish? What product would I use? I am just so eager to figure out how to get the silver back to life again. Many thanks.

shirley good [returning]
- dallas, texas usa

How to remove blackening paint from sterling silver?

Any suggestions for removing blackening paint on sections of sterling silver earrings would be appreciated. I'm assuming the dark areas are paint because it's not oxidation/antiquing. The black finish isn't thick, the sterling beneath shows through in spots.

Gerri

Gerri Glass
Hobbyist - Radford, Virginia USA

Aircraft Stripper

A. Hi Gerri. The Acetone previously suggested may work. If not, a paint stripper with methylene chloride (aircraft stripper) =>
almost surely will; but as a minimum you need goggles [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], protective gloves [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], and good (outdoor) ventilation. It's really noxious stuff.

thumbs up signThank you, Ted. Appreciate your help.

Gerri Glass [returning]
- Radford, Virginia USA

A. Lacquer thinner will take it off in seconds.

Robert H Roberts
- marietta Georgia

Q. I have several silver and silver plated lamps and cannot find the correct solvent to remove the lacquer. Does anyone recommend a specific brand of commercial acetone or lacquer thinner for removing lacquer from silver and silver plate?

moffat welsh
- Philadelphia Pennsylvania US

A. Hi Moffat. My guess is that it is not lacquer if acetone does not remove it. Aircraft Stripper [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] will almost surely remove it, but that is toxic, noxious stuff which you only want to use under a lab hood or outside, and while wearing personnel protective equipment.

This public forum has 60,000 threads. If your question seems off topic to this thread, you might prefer to Search the Site

Jobshops  Capital Equip. & Install'nChemicals & ConsumablesConsult'g, Train'g, SoftwareEnvironmental ComplianceTesting Svcs. & Devices