Antique dealer asks how to remove lacquer from silver

2004

Q. I am an antique dealer and buy old silver pieces. I don't mind the elbow grease to clean some of the black pieces. The thing that really gets me is when they have been lacquered and the piece looked polished and has black spots where the lacquer has worn off. How do you remove this lacquer without damage to the silver underneath?

Kurtis L. Kivi
antique dealer - Iron Belt, Wisconsin, USA

2004

A. You can use fruit stone blasting or plastic media blasting or you can use chemicals such as acetone, MEK / methyl ethyl ketone, or paint removers.

Good luck

Cair Shishani
Khair Shishani
aircraft maintenance - Al Ain, UAE

2004

A. You can use any solvent based paint stripper! Sometimes you can use 4 parts acetone /1 part ammonia (25%) mixture! Boiling in washing soda solution also can help (200 gm soda/1 lit water). Rinse well.

Acetone

A. Acetone works real well =>

... (not Nail Polish Remover). Rinse with soapy water. Polish with your silver polish. Can be used on Plate as well as Sterling. Works fast, super easy.

William G. Stevens
- San Francisco, California, USA

A. lacquer thinner [affil. link to product info on Amazon] will take it off in seconds

Robert H Roberts
- marietta Georgia

Q. I took silver candlesticks to a shop to remove the lacquer. It was quite expensive, but the man said my candlesticks were sterling, not plate as I thought.
Can I get rid of the dark spots and really strip and then polish them? They are very old and beautiful.

Esther Teller
- Potomac , Maryland usa

A. Hi Esther. I'm confused ...

You took these candlesticks to a shop and, after you spent a lot of money on the restoration, he gave them back to you with the lacquer supposedly stripped, but they still need further stripping, they have dark spots, and need polishing? What kind of "stripping" would silver need if the lacquer has already been stripped?

Or do you mean "It would have been quite expensive", so you didn't have it done, rather than "It was quite expensive"? Not nit-picking about your grammar, just trying to understand where you presently stand on this. Thanks.

Q. I inherited a silver tea urn that belonged to my great grandparents brought out of Russia when they escaped like many Jews. My Aunt had some kind of finish put on it which makes it look more like stainless steel (not quite) it is much darker than silver and does not tarnish. I am so curious to know what it should really look like. Would appreciate any input. Thank you so much.

Shirley Good
owner - Dallas, Texas USA

A. Hi Shirley. I think you already know what silver should usually look like, because you've described how this item looks darker than it should. But whether this particular urn once looked different than silver usually looks, due to some treatment by the manufacturer, is impossible to say.

Your aunt may have had it rhodium plated, or lacquered, or clear coated, but there are so many possibilities and countless millions of different pieces of silver holloware. She may have even painted it to disguise its value. My personal guess, though, is that it's rhodium plated ... is it the color of a shiny new "white gold" ring?

Q. Thanks for your prompt reply I really appreciate it. So now is there some way I can do a test area to try and remove the finish? What product would I use? I am just so eager to figure out how to get the silver back to life again. Many thanks.

shirley good [returning]
- dallas, texas usa

Polishing Sticks

A. Hi Shirley. I understand your question but even still, your question remains: "What chemical will remove an unknown plating or coating from something, without damaging it, which, I think, but am not sure, is silver?" How do you know it's not pewter?

Nobody can suggest such a chemical. But what you could try yourself, or have a local jeweler try, is removing the coating with polishing/sanding sticks (sort of like emery boards, but your jeweler will have them). If you get down to silver, at least you'll know that much as a launching point.

How to remove blackening paint from sterling silver?

Any suggestions for removing blackening paint on sections of sterling silver earrings would be appreciated. I'm assuming the dark areas are paint because it's not oxidation/antiquing. The black finish isn't thick, the sterling beneath shows through in spots.

Gerri

Gerri Glass
Hobbyist - Radford, Virginia USA

A. Hi Gerri. The Acetone previously suggested may work. If not, a paint stripper with methylene chloride (aircraft stripper) =>
almost surely will; but as a minimum you need goggles [affil. link to product info on Amazon], Rubber Gloves [affil. link to product info on Amazon], and good (outdoor) ventilation. It's really noxious stuff.

thumbs up signThank you, Ted. Appreciate your help.

Gerri Glass [returning]
- Radford, Virginia USA

Q. I have several silver and silver plated lamps and cannot find the correct solvent to remove the lacquer. Does anyone recommend a specific brand of commercial acetone or lacquer thinner for removing lacquer from silver and silver plate?

moffat welsh
- Philadelphia Pennsylvania US

A. Hi Moffat. My guess is that it is not lacquer if acetone does not remove it. Aircraft Stripper will almost surely remove it, but that is toxic, noxious stuff which you only want to use under a lab hood or outside, and while wearing personnel protective equipment.

Q. HOW CAN I DETECT IF A STERLING SILVER TRAY IS LACQUERED? CAN USING ACETONE RUIN THE SILVER IF IT IS NOT LACQUERED?

TOVA GROSS
- Brooklyn, New York USA

A. Hi Tova. Acetone won't hurt silver. Sometimes you can tell something has been lacquered because you see patchiness or peeling in the clear coating from multiple layers of lacquer. Sometimes you can tell it is isn't lacquered because it's black. Sometimes you can tell it's been lacquered or protected in some way because it doesn't tarnish. Possibly you can tell that's it's non-conductive (and therefore lacquered) with an ohmmeter; or that it's conductive (and therefore not lacquered). But usually, if it readily tarnishes it's not lacquered; and if it doesn't readily tarnish it is.

Q. I have 12 silver plated chargers that have been lacquered. They came from India, consequently, they have been silvered over BRASS. I did remove the lacquer (a la your instructions) because they had tarnished badly over the years. However, some brass has started to show through.
What luck have you had with silver plating. There are silver sprays out there as well as silver dips. What about electroplating? For 10 chargers that might be quite expensive. I hate to throw them out. What say you? Patricia

patricia LaPlante
- Danbury, Connecticut

Electroless Liquid Silver Plating Solution

A. Hi Patricia. You can try the silver wipe-on stuff on one of them and see what you think. Amazon reviews range from 1 star to 5 stars.

Q. Hello my name is Janet I recently purchased a cruet set at an online auction and I have discovered that someone has actually PAINTED over the silver plate with silver colored paint! It is marked Middletown Plate Co (as best I can make out) with what looks like the scales of justice hallmark. HOW CAN I REMOVE THIS PAINT? Sorry 'bout the caps I am just frustrated and confused as to why some one would do this.

Janet Ammons
collector - Rocky Point, North Carolina, USA

A. Hi Janet. It's really anybody's guess why some unknown person at an unknown time would put silver paint on silver plate. However, it could certainly be that the silver plating was worn away and the underlying copper or other base material will show through when you remove the paint.

Aircraft stripper (methylene chloride) is one of the most noxious things you can work with, requiring as a minimum goggles [affil. link to product info on Amazon], Rubber Gloves [affil. link to product info on Amazon], and working outside from the upwind side. But its strong suit is that it will remove virtually any paint without damaging virtually any metal.

Haven't been able to remove lacquer from mirror

Hi. I have the same issue. I have a silver mirror that has been lacquered. I've tried acetone but only the soft part has come off. The mirror has a pattern and it's difficult to take the lacquer off them. I've got white spirit at home, would I be able to use that instead of paint remover? Many thanks.

Sarah smith
- London, England

A. Hi Sarah. You can certainly try it, but I think it's quite unlikely to be of any help. Multi-Strip [affil. link to product info on Amazon] might work, or you can contact Angel Gilding [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] for both advice and everything imaginable in the way of supplies for mirror making and repairing.

Removal of Jewelry Blacking

Q. I'm a retired computer guy still working with his hands. Of great sentimental value, I have inherited a 2.5" sterling silver figurine that appears to have been completely covered/dipped in jewelry blacking. Then, it was mechanically buffed to remove the black from the areas that were not stamped. The process was poorly performed. How can I remove the blacking without harming the silver?

30700-1a   30700-1b

Cee Lee
- Vail Colorado

A. Hello Cee. The main issue is that you don't know and I don't know what this blackening is. It is probably a 'liver of sulphur' type oxidation, but it may be then have been followed by a lacquer, or it could be a black lacquer. Chemical removal would have to be trial & error unless some reader on this site or some other source more experienced than us can tell us exactly what it is. Mechanical removal by blasting is promising except that the stones would probably have to be masked.

What are your grounds for confidence that it is sterling silver?

Q. I am 100% confident that the silver is 925 or better. Thank you very much for your quick response. I will commit to trial and error, increasing strength with each trial. Commercially available metal and silver polishes have been ineffective, i.e. Flitz and Simichrome.

Cee Lee [returning]
- Vail Colorado

A. Hi again. If polish seems to do nothing, that may increase the odds that there is a lacquer of some sort over the silver and the blackening. Lacquer thinner or acetone should probably by tried next in that case. They are harmless to most metals including silver, but I'm not sure what those "stones" are, and that they are fully resistant.

A. Try acetone ammonia mix (3-4 parts acetone and 1 part 25% ammonia). Paint stripper can be used too.

- Zagreb Croatia

Q. Hi. My parents gave me beautiful Tiffany candlesticks. They're lacquered so they wouldn't blacken. I have had them for over 35 years. They are shiny as can be. But... the other day the wax from the candle dripped all over the the base of the candle stick. I removed the wax and I guess I removed the lacquer. Now one candle stick has no shine. Can't shine them up even with polish. What can I do. Thanks. Vera

P.S. I am heartbroken

Vera kohlmeier
- Douglaston, New york

A. Hi Vera. You omitted two important items of information :-)

You say you "removed the wax", but you didn't tell us how you achieved that -- acetone, ammonia, scraping, abrading with sandpaper, etc. Also I don't know whether the candlesticks are sterling silver (do they say so?) or silver plated. Answering those two questions and e-mailing a photo to mooney@finishing.com for posting here would help. It also might help others who were reading this page because they want to remove lacquer from silver.

In the meanwhile you might take it to a jewelry shop and see what they say about polishing it.

instructional adv.