Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

topic 30186, p. 2 of 3

Lime-Away destroyed stainless steel sink

< Prev. page          Next page >

Q. I have a polished stainless steel sink and there are workers in my home that have made scratches on it. The scratches go in a circular motion. I have received numerous tips on products. They all say to go in the direction of the grain. Does that mean go in the direction of the scratches? Or against the scratches?

Jean Cavallari
- Brooklyn, New York

Q. I NOTICED SOME BODY/FACE PAINT ON MY STAINLESS STEEL COUNTER TOP & WHEN I WENT TO WIPE IT UP WITH WATER, I WAS LEFT WITH A DISCOLORED SPOT THAT APPEARS BRIGHTER, AS THOUGH I BLEACHED IT. IS THERE A WAY TO REPAIR THIS?

EVA HICKEY
DESIGNER, HOMEOWNER - METAIRIE, Louisiana

A. I went out and bought car polish tonight after googling "black stain from Lime-away." It doesn't take the stain completely away, but enough so that it's not noticeable. I used it just on my faucet in the kitchen to get rid of the build-up from the hard water.

By the way, I looked all over the bottle and saw nothing about a problem with stainless steel. Oi.

laverne Defazio
- Santa Barbara, California

A. My wife used bleach to clean the sink but left it to soak in, when she came back to it the sink was badly stained. We tried many cleaning products to remove the stains and failed. I was fixing a scratch on my Toyota with T-Cut compound and decided to try it on the sink, it worked a treat. The sink was completely stain free with the best shine we had ever seen on it even when new. While using T-Cut I also tried some Brasso [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], this also worked well.
I hope this helps someone. T-Cut or Brasso.

Derry O'Keeffe
- Ennis, Ireland

A. The problem with all the concerns with the stain in the stainless steel sinks are this. They are a low grade stainless and will not take kindly to harsh cleaners like Lime away. The elkays and Briggs sinks are low grade bought in bulk from overseas. The good grade stainless is very expensive $400 to $800. It is the thickness covering the sink. Even a new house will have a low grade sink in it unless you pay for the upgrade.

Chuck Crivella
- Reading, Pennsylvania

A. All these cleaning ideas are fine (especially the Simple Green [linked by editor to product info at Amazon], which is a great product), but when the problem is fine nuisance scratches where they should not be, we need an abrasive that will obliterate them.

Note the original finish on these sinks was very likely put there by use of a Scotchbrite pad on an industrial polisher. Scotchbrite is THE commercial stainless polishing medium. Virtually all "brushed" stainless is finished with Scotchbrite. It is polished in one direction to give it a grain effect.

Get a fine Scotchbrite pad and polish only in the direction of the grain. Go GENTLY at first until you see it is the right grit. If you think it scratches or tears up the surface, you're using too coarse a grit, so to fix it just go to a finer grit.

Bill Kincaid
St. Louis, Missouri

A. Just had this problem of a limescale-removing bleach spilling on a stainless steel sink. I found that Autosol [linked by editor to product info at Amazon] metal polish did a good job in removing it.

Jack Doughty
- Cullompton, Devon, United Kingdom

A. Hope's [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]Stainless Steel Polish works very well. Needs elbow grease and patience but it will bring up most stainless sinks very nicely. Hard to find - I order it on the Web.
Cameo, also applied multiple times. On really, really bad stain, made from contact of Tarnish liquid silver polish wash, I had to use Brasso, again repeatedly.

Mary E. Robinson
- Lake Worth, Florida

Q. Last year we put up tile in our kitchen as a backsplash and the grout residue was cleaned off the sponges in my stainless steel sink. After this I noticed that the side that was used to clean the grout filled sponge has a film/haze on it. Can you tell me if there is a product or way for me to remove this film from my sink?

Lisa Sides
homeowner - Maryland Heights, Missouri

A. Most all grout cleaners on the market today contain corrosive acids which will damage the appearance of Stainless steel.
Scratch-B-Gone (just using our gray pad and Ultra Shine proprietary chemical will quickly and permanently remove this discoloration.

Barry Feinman
Barry Feinman
BarrysRestoreItAll
Carlsbad, California

sidebar

thumbsdownYour commercial showing a parent lying in front of her child shows poor judgment.

Kay Benjamin,
Los Angeles, California

Ed. note: Hi, Kay. Google serves ads based on geography, bids, the reader's profile, and other factors, so I can't see that ad. Was the parent "telling a falsehood" or "in a prone position" (immodestly clothed?)
Students visit this site, so we block all ads of a sexual nature and keep the site child-friendly. If you can tell us the advertiser or any further info, we can block them; otherwise we're kind of stuck on what to do. Thanks.

Q. I used Lime-Away on my fridge water/ice dispenser and it dripped down the front and left drip stains on my stainless steel. Can I use Car Polish to get rid of it?

Vanessa Gionis
- Sugar Land, Texas, USA

A. Vanessa, the harsh chemicals like CLR should never be used on stainless steel as they will compromise the chromium barrier of stainless and result in staining.

Scratch-B-Gone will restore the finish of damaged stainless.
Best

Barry Feinman
Barry Feinman
BarrysRestoreItAll
Carlsbad, California

Q. I have been finding small black spots on my new stainless steel sink. They are surrounded by a brown stain which gets bigger the longer the brown stains remain. I have scrubbed off the brown (frankly it looks like rust but is smooth) and the black spots remain. I thought I did something but last night I found more black dots with the brown rusty rings. I didn't do anything but put water in a dog bowl.

Does anyone know what causes these spots?

Eileen Mckenna
new home owner - Gardiner, New York

Q. I spilt limescale remove on my stainless steel sink and Brasso wadding got rid of the black marks. Takes a bit of elbow grease - have to keep using the wadding to polish the stainless steel (until it goes black) then wipe the surface clear and start again with a fresh piece of wadding. No sign of any black marks now and I've got a very shiny sink!!

Deb Flynn
- Sunderland, Tyne and \'Wear, UK

Q. I have a bathroom vanity with a "brass" colored metal sink and faucets. Because of the hard water, the sink how has some green spots, and hard water deposits.

30186thumb
Click thumbnail for high resolution photo

What can I use to first, clean the spots and second, "finish" it so this will not occur in the future? Thanks.

Cynthia Edwards
- Houston, Texas

A. Cynthia, what you have is corrosion due to reaction with the copper base metal (brass contains copper) which results in 'green' staining. BarrysRestoreItAll specializes in DIY cleaning solutions for Stainless and copper based materials. Just give us a call to discuss

Barry Feinman
Barry Feinman
BarrysRestoreItAll
Carlsbad, California

Q. I just purchased a house and the ring around the drain in the stainless steel sink where is shows the brand name of the sink was blackened/ dark in color so I used Bar cleaner for stainless steel and now it's turned blueish. Any ideas as to why and what I can do? Have I ruined the stainless steel? Thanks. Cindy

Cindy Greenslade
- Long Beach, California, USA

Q. I used Lime-A-way on my tile floor grout and some got on the tile and left a sticky film. How do I get it off?

Audrey Maes
- Antelope, California

A. Hi Audrey. Lime-A-Way is designed to be a tile cleaner, not something you must avoid getting onto your tile. I think there is something else going on.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

Meguiar's Compound

thumbs up signI came to this site looking for a answer to my problem with Lime Away on Stainless Sink. Well, someone recommended car compound, so I bought Meguiars Compound in a bottle and could not believe it worked! I have tried so many things but this took out the stain, you can see the black on the rag, and it's so shiny! I hope this helps someone else because I thought I had to buy a new sink. No more Lime Away near the sink.

Sharon Risley
- West Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Q. I have tried 5 popular stainless steel cleaners, lime away, fantastic ,vinegar water and vinegar baking soda mix for my drip stains from the ice maker on my new stainless steel fridge . . . nothing has worked. Would silver polish be an option? Very stubborn . . . not even a little better after spending so much on these possible solutions. Thanks for any thoughts.

Celeste Fasone
- Woodland Park, New Jersey, USA

Q. I spilled powdered pool shock on my stainless steel sink
now it is badly discolored with what looks like giant bleach spots. is there any help for this sink

It is a double undermount sink with a granite countertop
replacing it would be a lot of work and money.

Lisa Nueberg
- Freehold, New Jersey, USA

A. For water stains on the stainless fridge, use WD40. Yep ... I tried EVERYTHING and this works great. I now clean all stainless steel products with WD40.

Billie Dias
- Kapaa, Hawaii

thumbs up signI am so grateful for the tips on the car polish and the Nevr Dull -- it saved my brand new stainless steel sink that was damaged and turned black when I used Zap to spray some other glass item over my sink. Both worked like magic to erase and shine my sink back. It took some elbow grease but worked great. I had a previous sink stain and did not know what did it and could not clean it until this happened again with my new sink.

mona samaan
- foxboro Massachusetts usa

A. I had the same problem..."Lime Away" residue on my stainless steel sink; I used "Cape Cod" metal polish [link is to product info on Amazon] ... worked like a dream ... no more dark stain. Does require a little elbow grease. Hope this helps someone.

Tina Strong
- Las Vegas, Nevada

< Prev. page          Next page >