Cyanogen iodide destruction

(1999)

My question concerns pretreatment of a cyanogen iodide containing waste as a product of silver analysis. I know that cyanogen iodide may be decomposed by treatment with sodium hypochlorite but what procedure would I use and how would I know when all of the cyanide is destroyed? Thank you for your help.

Darlene Raiford
Virginia Beach, Virginia

(1999)

I don't understand the mechanism of creating cyanogen iodide during silver analysis. If you are doing a standard titration of a cyanide silver solution with silver nitrate to determine free cyanide, I don't think you even need to add potassium iodide indicator. And even if you do, shouldn't it take an oxidizing agent to form cyanogen iodide in the first place? If I have the chemistry wrong, please let me know. I haven't done that particular analysis for a few years.

bill vins
Bill Vins
microwave & cable assemblies
Mesa (what a place-a), Arizona