-----

"Antiquing Paint / Faux Wood Finishes"

Current question:

Mom has a bedroom suite that she antiqued in the 1960s. Now she has another bed that needs to match the antiqued finish. Can I still find the antiquing kits?

Sue Krepps
- North Carolina
^

A. Hi Sue. I know the look you're speaking of because I did a couple of beds and dressers that way in the '60s and '70s. In one case we painted them with a dull reddish paint, then streaked them with a translucent grey stain; in another case we painted them off-white and streaked them with a brownish-goldish color. They certainly didn't actually look like any actual antiques, but it was a very popular look. These days colored waxes rather than stains are apparently used for that second layer, and the look is probably more authentic, but different.

You can hopefully find something that works in a generally similar fashion by hunting for 'antiquing kit' or 'faux wood finish' or 'milk paint', but the chances of being able to actually match a finish of this sort applied 50+ years ago is zero. If by a miracle you had the exact same product it wouldn't look the same newly applied vs. applied 50 years ago anyway. It's time to either mix-&-match or update the whole set :-)

^

Closely related Q&A's, oldest first:

1999

Q. Am looking for paint-on antiquing paint to use on wood. Sears used to sell a product, but does not anymore. Yes, realize it is "fake," but still am looking for it. Want to change a natural dark wood to a white oak antique look. Can anyone recommend a product?

Zack Forester
- Tuba City, Arizona
^

1999

A. You can still find books that tell you how to lime raw oak, which is still one of the most attractive finishes. -tom

tom pullizzi animated   tomPullizziSignature
^

1999

Q. I too am looking for an Antiquing kit. I used to see them in hardware / lumberyard stores about 20 yrs. ago. Does anyone know where I can purchase them... or how I can order one.

George Seed
- Lawrenceville, Georgia
^

2002

Q. I HAVE AN IRON BED THAT HAS BEEN IN THE FAMILY FOR FIVE GENERATIONS AND I WAS WONDERING WHERE I CAN FIND PAINT FOR IT AND WHAT KIND OF PAINT SHOULD I USE FOR IRON. THANK YOU....

Susan Bainey
- North Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
^

2004

Q. Hello; I too am looking for a antiquing paint. If anyone has a product to antique wood please let me know.

John Wieber
- Marysville, California
^

2004

Retique It

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns a commission on whatever you buy after clicking)

A. I did that a few times long long ago too. As I recall you painted the furniture then rubbed a brownish translucent staining solution over it to give variegated patterns.

That finish isn't "in" at present, so it's harder to find. But I think names have changed too, so if you search for 'faux finishes wood' rather than 'antiquing' you may meet with more success.

I see these days that the 'aging' effect is done with dark waxes: you give it a fresh coat of paint, then apply dark wax to the recesses, and buff it to give a very realistic aged look. 'Retique It' has a video on Amazon that shows this dark waxing effect.

^

2007

Q. HI FOLK,MY NAMES IS CANDY HOLLEY AND I LIVE IN THE COLORADO MOUNTAINS WHERE WE LOVE THE ANTIQUE LOOK AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT REFINISHING KITCHEN CUPBOARDS IN AN ANTIQUE MANNED using GRAY PAINT AND AN OIL-BASE STAIN I HAVE DONE IT ONCE TWENTY YEARS AGO AND WOULD LIKE TO HELP A SINGLE MOTHER DO HERS WITHOUT MUCH COST INVOLVED. THANK YOU.CANDY HOLLEY FROM GRANBY COLORADO.

Candy Holley
Hobbyist - Granby, Colorado
^

Q. I, too, am looking for this 70's-80's antiquing kit. I used it years ago, and loved the effect. Now I can't find anything like it.

Ann Heggemeier
- troy, Illinois usa
^