-----

"How to darken zinc plate and galvanized materials"

2004

Q. My builder just put up a new fence for me with zinc plated hinges and a galvanized thumb latch on top of the gate. Does anyone know if there is anything I can put on these parts to darken them, for they really stand out and look terrible. Thanks so much!

Sharon Ballins
hobbyist - Yountville, California, USA
^

2004

A. You can use 200 grams iron chloride/1 lit water solution!

^

Ferric Chloride

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns commission on what you buy after clicking)

Q. Where does one obtain iron chloride?

John Welch
- Des Plaines, Illinois, USA
^

A. Hi, John.
Iron chloride is ferric chloride =>

^

Q. I have seen gal beams left under gum trees for a couple of months, they get stained and look like a rusty colour; I am after this effect in a warehouse style loft to make it seem older. Ideally I would not coat the steel at all until it rusts and then clear coat over the rust.
Any help appreciated

Brett Houssenloge
- Sydney NSW Australia
^

Black Patina for Zinc

Affiliate Link

A. Hi, Brett. The purpose of galvanizing is to stop steel from rusting; so you should use plain ungalvanized steel if you want rust. I don't know if it's possible to get a nice mottled look on galvanized steel quickly, but you could test ferric chloride or patina made for zinc =>

^

Q. Thanks for the help; the engineer has requested that all of the steel etc. be Hot dipped; I just wanted to take the edge off the new look and of course not damage the protection of the hot dip. Maybe I will spray the showing surfaces per the previous suggestion. Should I wash it off once the effect is reached?
Cheers and thanks -- Brett

Brett Houssenloge [returning]
- Sydney NSW Australia
^

A. Hi. If using the commercial patina, follow the instructions. I doubt that it is supposed to be rinsed though.

^

August 1, 2014 -- this entry appended to this thread by editor in lieu of spawning a duplicative thread

Q. Here we need to apply a darkened (dulling) aspect on a hot dip galvanized steel. The problem is I wanted to to it without the usual five steps (acidic activation, cleaning, darkening, cleaning, passivating). Is there any way we can do it with less steps or products?

Paulo Moch
- Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil
^