Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Nickel Plating Thickness and Related Specifications

2004

Q. I am trying to determine the best specification for nickel plating onto a mild steel substrate. The application is a high volume, consumer-grade hand scraper used as a BBQ cleaning tool. Failure of the plating could result in plating material in someone's food, so getting the specification right is very important.

Is SAE-AMS-QQ-N-290 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] A the most accepted standard to reference? If so, I am unsure as to the best Class and Grade to specify. The product will see significant deflection during use, and contact abrasive materials. I am not concerned about the corrosion resistance, mainly its ability to withstand abrasive motion and significant strain, so I think Class 2 is appropriate. I would guess grade E, but could use some input on that part. The appearance should be similar to stainless steel. The hardness requirement to be consistent with above requirements. The base material is ASTM A1018 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] plate, 16 gauge.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Tom D [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
consumer products manufacturer - Hood River, Oregon, USA

A. Hi Tom. Class 1 should be less expensive and adequate for consumer items. Nickel that is plated properly, per this or similar industry specs, will not rub or peel off despite the reasonable flexing of a scraper. But please read the spec carefully if this is the one you choose to use ... because I think it specifies copper under-plating plus minimum nickel plating thicknesses when plating onto steel.