Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Titanium Cooling Coil

2004

I would like to make a Titanium cooling coil of 200 W at zero deg. C. Does anyone know the coil length I would require if I was to use 9 mm Pipe Diameter.

Ayman Yousef
Student - London , UK

2004

I'd probably use a U-factor of 90 if you're talking about water. I assume you mean that the cooling solution flowing through the coil is 0 deg. C (you'll need antifreeze in it). But what temperature is the medium you are trying to cool or hold to temperature? The problem is unsolvable without that information. Any limitation on coolant flow, temperature rise, or pressure drop (there are an infinite number of solutions if all of these are open).

A common approach is to assume 10 degree rise in cooling water temperature, and then calculate the required flow rate and the resultant pressure drop. If the flow rate is then unreasonably high, try with a 20 degree rise, etc.