Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Brush plating Titanium with Nickel/Gold

2004

I need to solder Ti to SS and understand that the Ti must be plated with Ni or Ni and Au. The part and area I am working with is relatively small. I was thinking about using brush plating to apply the Ni/Au. Can anyone give me some idea of the current/voltage conditions one should use for brush plating a small part, how do you decide how much material to plate, and how do you prep the Ti surface for brush plating?

Tom Mayer
Optical Shop - Tulsa, Oklahoma

2004

Yours is not a very common application, so, not anyone can give you an idea. Indeed, even if someone could, your best option would still be to contact a reputed brush plating vendor. They would instruct you and sell you the required chemicals and supplies.

2004

Tom,

Talk to Sifco and Mr John Ryan (I believe he works in England). Or you can try to use an Electroless Nickel plating method see letter 278 -- there I have described a method which works but you should use a heat treatment temperature above 650 °C after the last step to get good adhesion, heat treatment with 400 °C will only get you an adhesion about 90-100 MpA.

Anders Sundman
Anders Sundman
4th Generation Surface Engineering
Consultant - Arvika, Sweden