-----

"Coating aluminum gates"

2004

Q. I need to paint or powder coat extruded aluminum gates. The gates are exterior . I would like to know which is the better system, wet paint or powder for durability. Secondly is chemical pre-treat better than sand blasting.

Ron Gates
fence contractor - Baldwin, Maryland, USA
^

2004

A. Ron, Powder is better as long as the aluminum is pretreated correctly, and the right powder formulation is used. Give it a conversion coat (Alodine) and then a TGIC Polyester. Etching the surface of the aluminum in a caustic dip tank system is preferable to sandblasting if you decide to go that route.

Sheldon Taylor
Sheldon Taylor

supply chain electronics
Wake Forest, North Carolina

^

2004

Q. I wanted to know best method of powder coating system in manual, and best method of recovery system in metallic powders. Also I wanted to know best method of painting manually with less wastage.

Suresh.D
- India
^

2004

A. Unfortunately, Suresh, that's a series of very broad questions not answerable in a paragraph or two on the internet. You'll probably need to start with books like Bob Utech's "Guide to High Performance Powder Coating" [affil. link to book on Amazon], and Norman Roobol's "Industrial Painting and Powdercoating: Principles and Practices" [affil. link to book on Amazon]. Then if you have rather specific questions that can be dispatched in a paragraph or so, I'm confident someone will help. Good luck.

^