Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Cause of Hardcoat Burns

2004

There is a burn issue with a part that the company I am working for is manufacturing. I am a student working as an intern and do not have expertise with anodizing.  These parts are hardcoat anodized and stacked on a pallet, then wrapped with shrinkwrap. They are cylindrical in shape. They do make contact with one another in the current packaging setup. When they are transported to the next operation via forklift many of the parts at the points of contact have "burn" marks. They are blackened and the hardcoat is no longer there. We have used standard shrinkwrap as well as shrink wrap that should dissipate any static charge. It did not work successfully. Why would it be burning, I understand the hardcoat has dielectric properties and should be corrosion and wear resistant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Will Potter
student - York, Pennsylvania, USA

2004

I would be amazed if this damage was from static electricity in the packaging. I believe it is either fretting/galling damage (even that is hard to believe), or that the burns were there from the anodizing process.

Are you surer the burns were not there before the parts were stacked?

2004

There are many places that claim to do hard coat. If it is a real hard coat not just type 2 with more thickness then I doubt it would be worn off.

drew nosti
Drew Nosti, CEF
Anodize USA
Ladson, South Carolina
anodizeusa1