Home

SEARCH🔍
no_pop_no_spam2

World's top finishing resource since 1989
Chime right in - No login req'd

Problem on electroplating

2004

I just join an electronic factory after graduated and currently I facing a problem in my electroplating process. We are using nickel and Sn via electroplating to plate on the components. But, there is a problem for finished components solder test which there is a small hole on the component plating surface after soldered. One of the reason was the plating was uneven. Is there any de-plating method so that I can re-plate the component? Or can anybody tell me what's is going wrong in my electroplating process?

* we are using NiCl, Ni sulphate, acid boric, Sn sulphate, brightener in our process.

JIMMY
electronics mfgr - Intan, Sarawak, Malaysia

2004

Sir;

Your problem could be one of three things.

1. A contaminated tin/lead bath.
2. The solder flux used to solder test could be the problem.
3. Poor or improper procedure for solder testing being used.

To deplate, you have to strip the parts.

Joel Garcia
- McAllen, Texas

2004

Jimmy,

Tell us if you use a acid or alkali tin solution. That's important for us to solve your problem and also how big is the hole.

Anders Sundman
Anders Sundman
4th Generation Surface Engineering
Consultant - Arvika, Sweden

2004

Thank you very much. I am using acid tin solution. The hole is about 30% of the total coverage.

JIMMY
- Malaysia

2004

PLEASE GIVE COMPLETE PROCESS SEQUENCE.

ajay raina
Ajay Raina
Ludhiana, Punjab, India

2004

Our product will dip in the copper paste for 1st layer coating. Then, pass through electroplating in the Ni bath and again pass through electroplating in the Tin bath. After complete electroplating, product heat in a high temperature chamber (> 100°C) and finally, do the soldering (solder bath 200°C). Only after soldering, found that the solder only covered 70% of the total area of the product.

JIMMY
- Malaysia

2004

ARE YOU USING ANY TYPE OF FLUX BEFORE SOLDERING.

ajay raina
Ajay Raina
Ludhiana, Punjab, India

2004

If you are using tin bath only ( Not tin lead ). If your tin gets too thick when soldering the tin will not flow correctly.

Chris Snyder
plater - Charlotte, North Carolina