-----

"Painting a Car at Home With Tremclad-Type Paint"

2004

I want to paint my car with a roller using Tremclad paint and I want to know if there is an additive I can use to speed up the drying process so the dust and air particles will have less chance to settle.

Marilyn Barisitz
hobbyist - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
^

2004

Hey, I just painted my truck with roll on Tremclad. no, you can't quicken the drying process; use a clean 2 car garage it worked for me. Hope this helped.

Murray Fontaine
- Edmonton, Alberta
^

"How to Paint Your Car"

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com earns commission on what you buy after clicking)

2005

I just got my truck out of my bosses body shop and I was wondering if I could paint it with Tremclad through a paint gun. And would I have to put a clear coat over Tremclad paint?

Cole Krauss
student - Oakburn, Manitoba, Canada
^

2005

Tremclad works fine...but you need to follow the advice on the can and not try to wax or buff it for at least 7 days. It takes that long for the stuff to "harden" to where it will chip instead of peel if scratched accidentally.

Steve Bishop
- Seeley's Bay, ON, Canada
^

Low odor Mineral Spirits
(12 quarts)

Affiliate Link
(finishing.com may earn commission)

2006

There is a huge forum going on about painting your car with Tremclad and rollers. You use mineral spirits to thin it and it will dry over night between coats. About six coats and wet sanding in between and your lookinG good. Go to this web site there is a 22 page and growing forum dedicated exactly to this project with pictures and trial and error.
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2331682&page=1&fpart=21&vc=1&nt=20
hope this helps

Evan Green
- Berkeley, California, USA
^

2007

I have painted three trucks in the past with a roller and Rustoleum. I didn't know about Tremclad and didn't wet sand between coats. I did wait a few weeks and buffed it out pretty hard. Please note these were old beaters but from a few feet away they looked pretty cool. Total outlay was a weekend and under $60.00.

Milton R. Ninde
- Fairfax, Virginia
^

Hi, I painted my car with Tremclad. I used a small airless spray gun ($100 approx.) to spray it. The actual paint job took less than 1/2 hour. Repairing the body was the long part. Hiding the parts I didn't want to paint took almost an hour. The results are ok. The car is not glossy but it still looks quite good. Here is a link to my blog if anyone is interested: www.davestuff.ca/WordPress/

Dave Amos
- Verdun, Quebec, Canada
^