Zinc plating for 400 hours of salt spray test

adv.    coatec india banner  saify ind banner

(2004)

Q. I am looking for information on zinc plating that will pass 400 hours of salt spray testing.

Arvind
manufacturer - Hosur, TN, India

(2004)

A. Hi, Arvind.

Maybe it would be easier to look for salt fog cabinets that allow your current zinc plating to survive for 400 hours? ... Sorry, just a joke based on a recent discussion where split-sample parts supposedly passed a 400-hour test in one country and failed at 96 hours in another :-)

To white rust or red rust? (The latter is certainly possible). Must this be straight zinc or can it be a zinc alloy? (It's easier with an alloy zinc). What material is the substrate? (Steel, I assume). Top coat allowed? (It's easier with).

The answer is yes it can be done with proprietary chemistry. Please flesh out your inquiry with further detail for a more detailed answer. Thanks!

(2004)

A. Your requirement of Salt Spray 400 hrs not specified whether white rust or red rust, in any case Zinc Alloy Plating with Iron or Cobalt in alkaline process is very much suitable. Depending upon the requirement of Chromate colour, you have to select the above process. Chromate may be hexavalent or trivalent. I have got experience in achieving 400 hrs salt spray with the above process.

p gurumoorthi
P. Gurumoorthi
    electroplating process chemicals
Chennai, Tamilnadu, India

(2004)

Q. I want to meet 400 hrs of salt spray test using a trivalent plating without sealant. Currently we are using hexavalent plating. Has anybody achieved this without a sealant. I am interested to know more about this.

N.Kumaran
- Tamilnadu, India

(2004)

A. Arvind,

If you need 400 Hrs I suggest Zinc Iron Alkaline bath Plating followed by Trivalent Light Green Chromate which will exceed the 400 Hrs. The chemistries are available in India from Proprietary makers.

asif_nurie
Asif Nurie
- New Delhi, India

With deep regret we
sadly advise that
Asif passed away

on Jan 24, 2016

(2006)

Q. Dear Sir/Madam
Hello
I want to coat (Zn coating) for parts (sheet metal) for up to 24 Hours salt spray test and with smooth surface.
Please inform and help me.

Best Regard,

Sadegh Gholipour
- Tehran, Iran

Q. I would like to know how long time in each color chrome (blue, yellow and black) for salt spray test in according to JIS Z 2371 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] standard?

Arnupap Siriphan
Owner - Thailand

Q. 1. AUTOMOTIVE GAUGE CASE WITH ZINC PLATING, THICKNESS 15 TO 25 MICRONS WITH BLUE PASSIVATION -- IT WITHSTAND HOW MANY HOURS OF SALT SPRAY TEST?
2. GAUGE WITH ABOVE-MENTIONED PLATING THICKNESS IS PACKED IN WORST POSSIBLE CONDITION -- IT WILL FORM WHITE CORROSION AFTER HOW MANY DAYS?

CHANDRAKUMARA CHELUR KYLARASETTY
- BANGALORE, KARNATAKA, INDIA

I want a hexavalent Zinc blue coating to withstand a 48 hour salt spray test. What thickness should I go for?

Huzefa Kitabi
IBC - Bangalore, Karnataka, India

Hi Huzefa. 48 hours isn't much these days, even 5 microns of zinc with a quality trivalent chromate conversion would probably pass 48 hours. But is there really a good reason you want a blue hexavalent conversion coating rather than a trivalent one? Hexavalent chromate is yellow; to get it blue means keeping very little chromate. Chromate doesn't have a thickness specification though. But you're really not supposed to design to a salt spray test ... you're supposed to design for an exposure condition, and then determine what the minimum salt spray hours you can accept before you should assume that you have lost control of the process. Good luck.