-----

"Electrolytic etching of titanium"

1999

I wish to etch titanium using a resist, an electrolyte, and a "reverse electro plating" process. I would appreciste suggestions as to a suitable electrolyte which does not involve using HF.

Vernon Larson
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
^

1999

Ammonium bifluoride is a very safe way to get fluoride into an acid for etching. HF is not that dangerous in the dilute forms. Nitric acid with fluoride is only minorly more hazardous than the nitric solution and is definitely less of a hazzard than the straight nitric. I have not seen anything in writing for this process. I do know that a a high current in hydrochloric acid will pit TI severely. Nitric HF is a great bright dip /etch, so you may have to do a lot lab work to find a suitable combination.

^